it's different.

waking up the morning after an extreme argument with your husband is the equivalent to suffering from a really bad hangover.

the headache pounding behind your eyes, the instant regret, the uneasiness—it undoubtedly sucks. sometimes, though, there can be days where you either don't speak with your spouse for hours to days on end, or, you never see them again—almost like a one night stand.

with him, although...it's different than that. he won't be in bed—yes, not out of pettiness, but for the simple fact of hunger. you'll wake up, feeling that "really bad hangover," and ponder the thought of walking out of your room.

the hangover will subside, and you'll end up slowly creeping down the halls, the stairs to see if he's near. once you round down the stairs that led towards the kitchen, there he sat at the kitchen nook, eating a bowl of honey nut cheerios.

the first thing that you noticed were his eyes—elongated and tired. you would've bet a million dollars that he, like you, didn't get much sleep. his posture—he's never had the best posture, but there's a difference between relaxation and sorrow. and the last thing you noticed, was the account of his lack of a shirt—which in present time made your skin shiver in wondering how he's not freezing as you were. the apparent shudder you acted causes him to perk his head up towards your direction.

ah, the ending speech, the lowest of all lows in a situation like this. it shares the same characteristics of a horrible plot twist ending. the few minutes of silence after you acknowledge each other's presence. in some situations, there can be the immediate start of another long, excruciating argument. or in some cases, like previously mentioned, the other half would be gone. no note, no nothing.

so why with him, it's different? it's reasonably the opposite. the silence is still present, yes, but isn't counted for long before he slides his stool back a few inches, and studies your face from afar. you stare back, curious into what might play from here.

he sighs deeply, almost on cue, you walk towards him. he stretched out his legs and arms to envelope you in a hug. your hands tangle in his hair and smooth across his shoulders, as his roam your back in a soothing manner. the two of you are like that for some time, before he pulls you up and onto his still sitting frame. he presses a gentle kiss to your cheek, forehead, brows, temple, and then making his final stop at your lips.

the kiss spoke for the both of you in that moment, wrapped in each other's arms, both simply occupying one stool. once it broke, it was your turn to kiss anywhere you could, across his jaw, his eyelids, his whole face. and once your repay of affection was finished, you took the spoon from his cereal bowl and took a bite for yourself. he pressed a kiss to the side of your neck and laughed.

though you're not too sure as for why everything's different with him, you're positively sure that this "different" was right.

538 words; lovelygubler