1|| Don't Talk To Me

~Liam~

"Nice to meet you Grayson, I'm-"

"Cohen. Yeah, I'm mute not blind you fucking idiot," 

My interpreter signs back to me with maximum annoyance as if he would rather be standing anywhere but in the headmaster's office right now. Sure, there's plenty of other places for some rich redheaded guy to be at instead of with the deaf kid but he could at least give me the benefit of the doubt. 

"Welcome Cohen, to The island of Bridgeport's international school for the gifted. Congratulations on being one of the six students this year to be admitted to your grade out of the hundreds of thousands of applicants," Soren signs while rolling his bright gray eyes. His face scrunched up with his annoyance as he told me the words headmaster Kim was speaking. 

Somewhere along the way, I get lost as I take Grayson in, unable to stop myself from cataloging him in the way I usually do when meeting interesting looking people. Getting caught up in all the tiny details. The way his dark navy suit fit against his slightly tanned skin told me he can afford to have them custom-tailored. He's only about 5'7", so we're about the same height except he must be slightly self-conscious about it. 

His messy side-swept auburn hair looked far from unkept but more like he tried to make it look as though he didn't care. But there's something with his eyes that I can't seem to stray away from for too long. Maybe upon closer inspection, I'll be able to distinguish what's different but not in this lighting. 

"Hello? What am I here if you're just going to ignore me?" He signs after wiggling the tips of his fingers to grab my attention. The headmaster continues talking but Grayson stops signing as he narrows his eyes. 

"Your name tag is crooked," I quickly mention to distract his attention because I'm pretty sure if I told him I was just trying to examine every little feature on his handsome face he'd punch me. 

"Your face is crooked," He replies as he gazes down at the little tag reading his last name but doesn't touch it. I look over, surprised to find the headmaster was still speaking. 

"What is he saying?" I question and Grayson rolls his eyes and head with it. 

"The ever so prestigious history of the school, just a bunch of boring bullshit we've had drilled in our heads since grade one. I thought I'd be nice and spare you the boring details but if you want them so badly, 'The grounds are kept by our zoologist Maria and her daughter Lilac, they can be found-"

"What's it really like here?" I ask him and he clears his throat, pointing to the clock. The headmaster nods and says what I can make out as a sorry before he turns away from us and I lose his lips. 

"Our homeroom is about to start so welcome to class A. Though I'm surprised you made it this far considering the lack of intelligence you showed earlier," Grayson signed with such flair it's almost like he wants me to take offense to it. I grab my small black backpack out from under the chair and sling it over my shoulders. 

"What's your first name?" I ask and very obviously sees me sign the question but chooses to ignore it as he walks out the door and I'm left with no other choice but to follow him. 

"I'm Liam," I fingerspell and he watches while we walk through the mostly empty hallways. 

"It's rude in our culture to call me by my first name without befriending me first and trust me, you'll never make it into that level," He brutally chastizes me without mercy and I retreat back just slightly.