SIX

"You made me nervous," Taehyung told Jin sincerely as they sat across from one another.

"I did, how come?" Jin was looking down at his coffee cup while running his finger around the rim; he was feeling shy being around Taehyung. He couldn't believe he had agreed to get coffee after work with Taehyung.

After serving Taehyung's table, Taehyung had waited patiently for him to finish and asked him out for coffee, Jin was both in awe and shock that Taehyung was serious about the date thing.

Taehyung, on the other hand, kept his eyes on Jin the entire night, he could see that Jin was avoiding eye contact with him, he didn't take it badly though as he had already sense that Jin was a shy person. The one thing he didn't know though, is if Jin was single, he was hoping that he was, but a guy as handsome as Jin he doubted it, but then again, he could be wrong. Jin could be a lot like him. Everyone thought because he was good looking that he was taken by someone, but that was far from it. He used to be, he had married the love of his life a few years back, but sadly he was taken away from him far too soon.

"I didn't think you were going to accept my invitation to go out. I figured you might be taken, but that might just be me assuming."

Jin lifts his head so he could look at Taehyung, "I was nervous too, I didn't think you were serious about this and no, I am not taken, so yes, you are assuming." he smiled as he mentioned the last part which made Taehyung smile as well.

"Are you taken?" Jin asked shyly while his eyes roamed over Taehyung's hand, he looked at his fingers but didn't see a ring. Although he didn't think Taehyung would be in a relationship or married and ask him out, still, you never really know. He had been hit on by many married men before.

"You don't need to be nervous around me, and I am sorry for assuming, I should've asked. And to answer your question, no, I am single as a pringle."

Jin threw his head back and started laughing out. His laughter made Taehyung smile wide, everything about Jin seemed so pure, he couldn't explain it, but he saw something in Jin that made him want to get to know him more and more. At first, it was the sadness that hid in his eyes, but now it was shine that poured out of them as he laughed. He wanted to see more of it.

"Since I made you laugh, are you going to tell me your birthday?" Taehyung looks at Jin hopeful.

"I thought the plan was you were going to tell me yours first." Jin pulls himself together and looks at Taehyung. He didn't know how to explain it as the night progress he was feeling more and more comfortable with Taehyung, he had a lot of question and things roaming through his head earlier, but Taehyung was helping him to forget about all of it for the moment.

"You are right. December 30th, now you?"

"Ahh, you are at the end of the month. I am December 4th; I am at the beginning of the month." Jin took a sip of his coffee to break eye contact with Taehyung. He had realized that Taehyung had a penetrating stare, one that felt like he was looking into Jin's soul each time he looked at him.

Jin and Taehyung spent over three hours sitting in the small cafe talking about any and everything. Taehyung learned that Jin was in school part-time and also found out that Jin had recently received a job that he was uncertain of, but due to the pay, he wasn't going to turn it down. He didn't pry much as he recognized that Jin didn't want to share the details either.

Jin learned that Taehyung did a lot of investing in various types of businesses, but as far as what Taehyung actually did for a living, he was not sure, but he didn't want to dig too deep into Taehyung's life, in fear that Taehyung would want to know more about him and his tiresome life which couldn't compare to the older.

"Are you sure you don't want me to take you home?" Taehyung asked Jin for the third time that night as they stepped outside, getting ready to part ways.

"I am sure; you have already done enough by paying for coffee for me." Jin smiled politely and bowed his head.

"You have an interesting way of looking at things, Seokjin. I won't push anymore, though, but I would like to see you again if you are okay with that, maybe over dinner next time?"

Jin toyed with his fingers and contemplated for a while, "Umm, sure, I would like that."

Taehyung smiled, "Well, thank you for accompanying me for coffee tonight, Seokjin, I really enjoyed your company, and I look forward to seeing you again."

"You are welcome, and thank you too; I had a good time," Jin told Taehyung and turned to walk away, but Taehyung stopped him. "I am sorry, I don't want to impose too much, and I feel like I am but, can I pay for a cab for you to get home, It's my fault you are leaving so late, and I don't know what your commute is like and would feel horrible for you to be riding the bus at this hour."

Jin was surprised by Taehyung's kindness and care; he didn't know how to feel about it. People were never just kind to him to be kind to him, they always had a hidden agenda behind their kindness, but somehow he didn't feel that way towards Taehyung. He felt like he was being genuine, and it gave him mixed feelings.

"It's okay, thank you. I like to ride the bus at this hour. I have some assignments to work on, and I can use the bus right to do that, plus I am used to the late-night journey, thank you though I really appreciate your kindness."

Taehyung sighs in defeat, but then he had a thought, "Will you text me when you get home safely then?"

"I will text you," Jin said while smiling at Taehyung.

"Is that a promise?"

"It's a promise."

*****

"For the first time in a long time I didn't spend today alone, I had coffee with someone, I was nervous at first, worried even that maybe I would mess up, but I didn't, he laughed at my corny jokes, just like you used to. He made me smile today, like a real smile, something I haven't been able to do since you left me, especially on a day like today.

I even mustered up the courage and asked him on a second date, and he said yes; I don't know where this will take us, but I wanted to tell you I am making progress, and I know you would be proud of me. I also want you to know that I miss you so much. I miss our baby girl, too; she would have been five today. I hope you told her happy birthday for me. N-not a day goes by, and I don't think of the both of you, I wish life weren't so cruel, I wish...I wish I had more time with guys."

Taehyung held onto the picture of his husband and their daughter and cried silently by the foot of his bed as he watched the candle burn out on the cake he had set up to celebrate his daughter's fifth birthday. 

******

A/N: Sighs 😔