4. Crime Scene

(Author's Note: this chapter is dedicated to LadySapphire2018 whose delightful ONC 2020 story, Senorita Pufferfish, is already leaping up the charts!)

Ash smelt the blood before he saw it. That distinctive coppery smell was unmistakeable. He pushed the door further ajar and peered into the room, preparing himself for what he would see. He'd already been told the man was dead.

The young constable who'd found the body had been in no doubt.

"His head, sir... his head..."

"What about his head?" asked Ash, trying not to sound too impatient.

"He hasn't got one! Sir."

The constable was now outside, sitting white-faced on the steps, trying to regain his composure.

Ash looked into the kitchen where the man lay spreadeagled on the wooden boards. His eyes skipped over the body, distracted by the blood. It covered the floor, creeping under the table and pooling against the skirting board. Ugly splashes streaked the walls and cabinets, glistening. Still wet. The place looked like a slaughterhouse. They must have missed the murderer only by a few hours.

Front down, the body lay where it had fallen. Shirt-covered arms were flung out to each side, one black trousered leg bent awkwardly at the knee, the other sticking straight out. Indoor shoes on both feet. And, as the constable had said, the body had no head.

It had been severed from the neck, with what appeared to be a single stroke. Although he was no expert, Ash thought the blow had to have been inflicted by someone who knew what he was doing. It was no easy job for an amateur, cutting off a man's head. Perhaps a butcher? Or a medical man? Someone with a very sharp blade, in any case. He hoped the police surgeon would be able to give him more detailed answers when he arrived.

But where was the head? Ash peered around the kitchen as if expecting to find it rolled into a corner. But he couldn't see it. Of course, his team would have to search the entire house but at this stage it looked bizarrely as if the murderer had taken it with him, as some kind of trophy.

Ash scanned the rest of the room, taking in the details before he went across to the body. Everything looked surprisingly ordinary, considering the violent event which had occurred. The kitchen was the kind you might find in any home. A painted wooden dresser for the glasses and crockery, white enamel sink set deep in the benchtop, a modern gas stove next to the small fireplace, an icebox in the corner and a table with two chairs. A plate and cutlery were laid out for one on the table. Unused. Nothing to indicate what had triggered the slaughter.

Stepping gingerly, Ash approached the body. The waistcoat was saturated with blood, masking the embroidery woven into the cloth, but surely that was a slit in the material just there, below the shoulder blade. And another near the spine, and another... four cuts in all. Despite the obvious decapitation, it seemed that the man had been stabbed as well. Had he been stabbed first, stabbed to either kill or incapacitate him, to allow the killer to strike at a stationary target? It seemed likely.

Ash moved to examine the neck. His attention was caught immediately by a deep gash in the floorboard. Jagged splinters of wood lay about, soaked by the blood. Unless he was badly mistaken, Ash now knew at least one of the weapons that had been used. An axe.

The fire had long died in the grate and the room was cold. Ash shivered, wishing he'd had the chance to go home and get his coat. He still wore the waistcoat and trousers he'd worn for the party but he'd left his cape behind. It would hardly have been appropriate at a murder scene.

~~~

Usually Ash loved his job, but he had to confess when his mother's servant approached him with the news that a police runner was downstairs waiting, his reaction had been one of annoyed resentment. He and Kai had been enjoying themselves, sipping champagne, and flirting. Ash had just been on the verge of suggesting they find a quiet place to share another embrace—in private this time—when he'd seen the servant coming toward him through the crowd, an apologetic expression on his face. He supposed he should be thankful the interruption hadn't occurred a few minutes later!

"Sir? I'm sorry, but there's a runner downstairs for you. He says it's urgent."

"Damn," muttered Ash, before he could help himself.

"A 'runner'?" asked Kai, his brows raised.

Ash winced. He never liked explaining that he was a police detective to a new acquaintance. For some reason, most people didn't take it well.

But he could hardly get out of it now. "I'm sorry, Kai. I have to go, it's a police matter. I'm a detective."

~~~

"Ah," murmured Kai, studying Ash with fresh eyes. Already he looked a different man from the one who had been amorously flirting only moments ago.

His posture had straightened, eyes now sharp and focussed despite the couple of drinks, movements brisk as he removed his cape.

For a moment Ash looked as if he was about to say something else to Kai, but in the end he merely gave a rueful shrug before turning to follow the servant.

"I'll take your cape for you," offered Kai quickly, reaching out.

Ash handed it over without stopping, his mind evidently focussed on the job ahead.

Kai smiled as he wrapped the cape around his own shoulders. It would make the perfect excuse to discover Ash's address and return it to him, later.