Ch. 31 - Road To Recovery

I stepped out of the building, squinting at the brightness of the sun. Honestly, if I had a choice, I wouldn't have left, but I want to get over Jeremy.

I have to.

"No, Michael, you don't."

'I'm sorry— what?'

"Okay, look, I said you didn't have to forget me. You know who I am, right?"

"...Jeremy?" I whispered, accidentally out-loud. "You're— what? You're supposed to be dead?"

"Shut up, dude, people are gonna think you're crazy." I don't know why, but after Jeremy said that, it sent shivers down my spine. I was alone, outside of the prison building. On my own. Nobody can save me if Jeremy snaps. Why? Because Jeremy's dead.

'Jeremy, I'm supposed to be getting better. I don't want this— let me get over you. Please.'

"But tell me, Michael, do you want to get over me?" He asked, his voice ringing in my ears.

That got me thinking. "Jeremy, why are you doing this? Is this some kind of shitty punishment?'

"It's not a punishment, Micha. But answer my question; do you really want to get over me? Or is that a petty excuse that you're making up for yourself?"

'I'm going insane,' I audibly chuckled. 'You're not real.'

"Shut up with that," He hissed. His voice got louder; I knew he was right next to my ear. I couldn't see him, but I knew he was there. "I lived, so I am real."

I facepalmed with a groan, starting to walk at a suitable pace, "This is crazy..."

"Of course it is," Jeremy replied. I know it seems ridiculous — because, y'know, he's dead, but I can almost still hear his footprints. "Hey, Michael, I've got a genius idea."

"What?" I said in a sarcastic, demanding tone, getting in the cab I was waiting on and slamming the door shut.

"How about you look at me?"

"I just tried to lock you out, holy fuck. Stop following me."

"Who are you talking to?" I heard the driver ask me, which snapped me out of my daze.

Honestly, now I feel really fucking stupid.

"Oh— uhm, nobody, sorry," I muttered.

"My apartment, Michael. That's where you want to go."

'What— Jeremy, no.'

"Go to my fucking apartment, Michael, and I'll leave you alone. I'll give you closure— you can forget about me, just please... Look at me and tell me you'll go to my apartment."

'Jeremy, what would me going to your apartment do?'

"Please, just listen to me. You want closure? I'll give you closure. You want the truth? I'll give you the truth. Just— go there. Stop wasting time."

"Fine," I said, before reciting Jeremy's address by memory and waiting patiently.

***

I ended up dozing off on the ride there, and the only way I knew that was because I kicked in the stomach by a ghost. You wouldn't think it— but those things don't go through you. Unfortunately, I woke up, groaned and handed the taxi driver a 20, getting out of the car and heading to the door.

'Jeremy, you know I don't have fond memories of this shithole.'

"Doesn't matter, I don't care. Go up to my apartment room."

"...This is abuse," I whispered under my breath, heading up the stairs and making my way down the narrow hallway to his room.

Eventually, I did in fact reach his room and tried my best to twist the knob. I couldn't. Something in me was screaming that it was wrong; which is rich coming from me.

"What the actual fuck are you doing, Michael? Open the door."

"Absolutely not— I can't. Why can't I?"

"I don't fucking know—"

"Ooh- THAT'S why you wanted me to come here, right? So you could make fun of me?!"

"Michael, calm down. Not only are you talking to nobody but—"

"Shut it! Open the door for me, then!"

My breathing was heavy, and my mind was switching rapidly. Why did they think this was a good idea? The creak of the door snapped me back into reality, but Jeremy's presence
completely vanished.

"Michael?" Christine asked, looking up at me.

Everybody was in that room that I was semi-close with.

Every single person but Jeremy.

God dammit, why does this keep happening to me?