Ch. 10 - Phone Call

(A/N; why are ppl reading this shit? Also, the legit plot starts here.)

----

I told him I never killed anyone.

I told him I never tried to kill anyone.

But how much of that was true?

One week after that conversation, I was playing old-ass arcade games in the basement of my parents' house. It's normally where I am, but still. I really needed a life, more so than I said I did.

As my fingers slammed against the buttons rapidly, I couldn't help but allow my mind to wander off to my guilt that I was still pining over. It wasn't okay for me to have tried to hurt someone, was it?

Or am I wrong, and it is okay?

She seemed so scared, and Jeremy seemed so worried...

I hit the pause button as aggressively as my finger would allow, and grabbed my phone from the table, lurching my body backwards so I could get it without needing to stand up.
As if on cue, my ringtone started blazing in my ear, echoing throughout the room, prompting me to hit 'accept'.

"Hey." I nonchalantly said, grabbing my controller once more, and holding my phone up to my ear with my shoulder as I resumed my game.

"Michael?"

Nice, it was Christine. Her voice was unmistakable, and she sounded unsure of something, but I still don't know what of. However, I just assumed I'd figure that out soon enough.

"Yeah, that's me."

"Oh, good. I thought Jeremy would've given me the wrong number on purpose! Then again, I think he'd be too nice for that, y'know? Speaking of nice—"

I cut her off: "Christine, back to what you originally called for?"

"Oh, oops, right! Um, so..."

This didn't really seem like the girl who found me in the bathtub, like... a while ago. She was demanding then, now it seems like she was trying hard to not anger me; like if she did, the world would cave in and we'd all be stuck watching JoJo Siwa's videos for a living.

Christine picked herself up again. I could almost hear the word buildup in her throat. "I heard... On the news? About something... erm, going wrong in the hospital Rich was checked into?"

Oh no.

That's why she's fucking calling me.

But quite honestly, I'm not scared like I should be. My nose isn't stuffy, and I don't feel like the walls are closing in on me. I'm not sweating or panicking — Because I'm not scared. Although, I probably should be, because if somehow she knew it was me, I'd be done for.
Yeah, okay, now I'm scared. But still, I try and keep my cool.

"Uh, like what?" I inquire. Shit, I had to consider my word choice.

"Have I told you about this before?" Christine questions, but before I can even give her a formulated response, she cuts me off. "I feel like I've told you about this."

My hands halt their movements, but I'm back to not being even remotely scared. I'm no longer pressing the buttons, and my screen lights up the room with the words 'Game Over' placed in the middle of the screen.
All I do is groan in annoyance.

"Michael? What're you groaning at?"

"Oh, nothing, I just lost the game I was playing. Hurry up and tell me already! I'm actually curious now!"

Christine proceeds to do so, needing just a couple seconds to figure out what she was talking about before. "Oh— right! Basically, there was this lady checked into the hospital, and next thing you know, her heart-rate's unsteady and she's on the verge of death, but then, somehow, she starts breathing okay, and she's fine!"

I considered something for a moment. If I told Jeremy I tried to kill someone. With a fucking syringe in a hospital room, why is it that the next minute, I'm telling him I didn't kill anyone, and he believes me?

I still remember my thoughts that I've had that day. To be completely fair, I don't know where I even got them, let alone remember them, but I do. I still remember the memorial for that girl that I almost killed on TV — that movie star checked into the local hospital.

Why was I killing a person whom was going to die anyway?

And to add onto that thought, why did I try and kill a famous person and think; Nobody's going to notice?

God, I'm so messed up.

Jeremy left, for whatever reason. And then—

"—Hael! Michael, hellooo? Jeez, did the line drop-?"

"No, no, Christine. The line's still here, it's okay."

"Oh, okay. So, what're your thoughts? Also, can I call you Micha? It's shorter, and easier."

"Uh, okay, sure. And my thoughts mainly are..." I trail off. I don't know what my thoughts are, but it's better late than never so...

"You think that maybe someone tried to kill her?"

She takes a minute to consider it: "Y'know, you're probably right. Shame. She was a really nice person, whoever tried that's probably delusional."

"Yeah."

"And— no, I'm not going to settle for just delusional."

"You're not—"

Christine cuts me off before I can finish my sentence. I'm not even sure why I try and actually speak anymore, to be honest.

"I'm going to find out who did this, and kill them myself with my own bare hands. Okay, I've got to go now! Byee!"

And with that, the line drops and I stare up at the flashing screen, which has ended up back at the home screen, probably due to inactivity on my console.

Well, shit. I'm fucked.