Ch. 21 - Cleaning Up : Part Two

I drove for what felt like hours, blasting Heathers on my stereo while I did so.

After that hellish drive, I pulled into a parking spot and repeated what I did the last time.

"Christine Canigula? She was released yesterday. Foul play,"

I looked up at the guard in whatever disbelief was plastered over my face.

"What're you talking about?" I suddenly asked. Obviously I didn't think it would be foul play; even though I kind of knew it'd be my fault.

"Christine Canigula was released, we found someone else who's DNA completely matched."

I shuddered. How many other people's lives was I going to have to risk?

Still, I simply nodded and walked back to my car, turning on my GPS once I opened the door and got inside of it. I typed in the address to her current house and continued on my way, praying to the Lord that she's there.

God, there's gonna be a lot of church visits I'm gonna have to make for anyone to forgive my sins.

*     *    *
I balled my hand into a fist and knocked excessively on the door, reddening my hand because of it.

Low and behold, she finally answered the door,

"Hello- Oh, hey Michael." She said, her lips curling into a smile, which prompted me to question why she was acting like nothing ever happened between us. I'm amazed that she actually even got released.

"Hi. Chris, why didn't you tell me that you got released?" I inquired. For some odd reason, I cared, and I don't even know why. "I should've been the first person you told, yet I heard nothing."

"Oh Jeez, Micha, I tried! I called you excessively, but you never answered!"

I felt my eyebrows furrow, "You didn't call, though."

She hastily shook her head, her raven hair slapping her face repeatedly as she did so. "I did."

My response was simply to let out an exasperated sigh, "Yeah, okay. Can I come inside?"

In the corner of my eye, I saw her nod. So, I made my way inside, my sneakers squeaking as I took a seat on her soft, blue couch while she went to go make some coffee.

"What's wrong?" Christine blurted. I heard the water start running from the kitchen behind me; it's amazing how small apartments are when someone doesn't live in dorms.

As far as I know, Christine didn't trust dorm rooms — anymore, anyway. So she went out of her way to buy an apartment, which was probably a smarter thing to do.

"Nothing."

"Michael Salazar Mell, you're lying to me."

"That's not my middle name, how the fuck did you even come up with that?" I asked, laying down on my stomach, sprawling out on the couch.

"I dunno. Anyway, yeah, tell me what's the matter. I know you, you can't lie to me."

But you don't know me, I thought to myself, everybody doesn't even scratch the surface to knowing me— no, Michael, be positive.

"I guess..." I muttered under my breath, "Christine, I made a mistake."

"Oh no. What'd you do?"

"I— Remember Jeremy?"

"How could I forget? He was one of your best friends — plus, he was my boyfriend."

"Yeah, for like a year." I snickered, then resorted back to looking sadly at the pillow I was holding close to my chest. "Anyway, I got in a fight with him and now he won't talk to me."

For some odd reason, when we were arguing, I felt like crying. I guess I really did love him, and now it was too late to fix anything.

"He won't?" Christine questioned, flipping the switch to the coffee maker and scooping in some ground up coffee beans.

"No, and I feel bad."

"I never thought I'd hear you feel bad about anything. You really did care about him, hm?"

"Yeah, I did." Those words felt so foreign in my mouth, only increasing my confusion. "So much."

"Then apologize," She said nonchalantly, taking a seat on top of the counter and swinging her feet — I took notice to her neon coloured socks, taking a mental note to go and get some for myself. "That's all you can do."

"He won't take me seriously. He thought I was just using him for clout..."

"Clout? Why'd he think that?"

"I don't know— maybe because I was always yelling at him to do stuff and shit like that. Honestly, I was probably scaring him."

"What? What do you mean you were scaring him?"

Maybe, just maybe, I'll do it.

"I told him I killed the girl in the hospital. Well, almost—"

"Michael. What did you do? Sorry, I don't think I heard right."

"I-I-I might've killed the girl in the hospital. Almost. I mean, she woke up and called the nurse—" I stammered, trailing off. This was a mistake, I know it was a mistake.

"You're talking nonsense, Michael." Her serious demeanour was erased with a chuckle, making butterflies land in my stomach. "Be serious."

"Okay— fine. I didn't do anything-" Oh my God, what the hell am I doing? "But... You just want me to apologize to Jeremy?"

"Yeah. He'll probably be in his dorm."

And with that information, I left to go and fix this.

I'm going to do so much more than just cleaning this up now.