Chapter 08

Foreseeable Ambitions

After a long walk back to the hotel, the two teenagers eventually found their way back where they were supposed to be. Although they knew the potential consequences of their actions, it was as if for the very moment, there was not a worry in the world.

Unlike the usual carefree Billy, Elianne also felt like she needed the getaway. Just a few hours the two spent, goofing around and eating ice cream, she felt a rush of relief. She could finally be herself, even if it meant breaking some rules.

When they entered the large building, they weren't surprised to see a distressed Rachel holding her head while walking around in circles. On the couch beside her sat Margot and Sam, looking around awkwardly.

Sam was the first to notice the two, and he didn't waste any time in alerting the teacher. Rachel jerked her head up, and the surprise was swiftly replaced with an immense scowl.

Billy took a step in front of Elianne. It was almost as if he was shielding her from the issues they were about to confront.

"Where the hell were you two?" The teacher shouted, catching a few stares of the other people in the lobby. "I was about to call the police!"

"We just wanted out," Billy nonchalantly responded, and Elianne looked at him puzzled. She was curious as to how sarcastic and irresponsible someone might be. Surely, she was just like him at the time, but seeing his behaviour at such a delicate time stunned her. "We've returned."

"You guys can't just leave⸺" Margot nudged into the conversation.

Rachel rubbed her forehead in frustration. Turning around to face Sam and Margot for a second, she sighed. "Both of you, go back to your rooms. Now."

Billy rolled his eyes as Margot stuck her tongue out at him on her way to the elevator. He didn't think he would ever like the girl.

"We're very sorry, Miss Stevens." Elianne finally spoke up, and when she did, her voice was filled with sorrow. It was cracked, in a way that one could say that she was just about to break down in tears. "I wasn't sure what came over me."

"Are you saying this was your idea, Elianne?" Rachel directed her words to her student.

There was a brief moment of hesitation, but a nod followed it. "Yes, it was all my fault."

Billy looked at Elianne, perplexed this time. He was confused as to why she felt compelled to take charge of the situation and blame herself for the mess. It was his fault, of course; he persuaded her to flee with him.

"No, it was mine. If it wasn't for me trying to⸺" Billy interrupted, his voice confident.

"I don't care whose fault it was!" Rachel crossed her arms, staring at both of her misbehaving students in rage. "You're both at fault, believe it or not."

There was a momentary silence.

"I'm calling both of your parents once we return to school" And with that, Rachel turned around.

Elianne's jaw hung open, her eyes wide with surprise as she stared at the teacher. She was far too concerned about how they would respond if they discovered she had skipped school. It would leave a blemish on her otherwise pristine academic record, as well as a sense of dread in her life. It would be detrimental to them.

They worked so hard for her, just to make sure she had all she needed to be the greatest person she could be, and hearing the news would be terrible for them.

She felt tears in her eyes, not having the courage to face the teacher. Billy didn't bother to say anything, he just rushed back outside. Still, he needed to clarify his movement. "I'll be back soon."

"Where are you going?" Rachel called.

Out, he wanted to say but knew it was far too inappropriate given the circumstances. "I'm in the parking lot, on a bench."

Elianne followed him, although she didn't understand why she needed to do it. It seemed like she and Billy had grown closer over the last few days. It would be a poor idea to abandon her companion in the dark, especially after the events of the previous night.

She quickly located him seated on a neighbouring bench just outside the hotel. He was sitting with his legs crossed, staring at the starless sky, with the moon reflecting his features.

She only fiddled with her fingers as she sat in the empty seat near him. The tears had dried up by that point, but her anguish was still obvious in her eyes. "Hi."

Billy didn't reply right away, only snatched a cigarette pack and a lighter from his jeans pocket. Popping the cigar into his mouth, soon after it lit up. "Hey."

Elianne sighed and snatched the cigar from his lips, tossing it under her feet. He cocked his head, surprised.

"That's not healthy in the slightest."

"Thanks for the advice, Mom," Billy replied, sarcasm evident in his voice. He fiddled in his pocket again and took out the cigarette pack. She took a hold of it and just threw the entire box in the trashcan beside her.

"What the fuck?" he said, but was surprised that she didn't even flinch. He gave her an apologetic look. "Uh, sorry, my bad."

There was a temporary silence.

"How're you feeling?" She had thankfully changed the subject.

"Look, Eli," he started after a moment. "You're not a doctor and I'm not your patient. So, can we just stop being so formal?"

Even though she didn't say anything, he knew she agreed with him when she didn't respond. The two youngsters were stunned into silence. They were simply appreciating the moonlight, which provided little comfort but did provide some illumination for the foreseeable future.

There were no other guests lounging the streets around, so it gave the two some time for themselves. Billy, Elianne and their thoughts.

"It's only really because of my parents I feel so, you know," he began again, hoping she'll catch onto his open-ended sentence. "Calling them won't fix anything, that's obvious. They don't give a fuck about me."

Elianne remained silent and merely listened. She had no idea Billy had so much hidden inside him. It made her question if he was concealing something else as well.

For a few minutes now, the two had been talking about their experiences and how different they were from what they had intended. Billy stated that he hoped to become well-known one day, perhaps in the business world, but that if that was not possible, he was interested in acting. He joked about how tough it would be, given his lack of interpersonal communication skills and his unwillingness to work long hours.

Elianne told him of her ambition to one day work as a novelist or short scriptwriter, or maybe as a journalist. When her school days were done, she stated she spent much of her time writing strange blurbs on scraps of paper. She also expressed her admiration for artwork, stating that it gave her a sense of value.

Though their chat was cut short by Rachel's request that they go inside, their thoughts didn't end there.

They wanted to learn so much about one other, and they believed that their journey to California would provide them with the opportunity.