the Start to Healing

Start from the beginning

"well, that's too bad." he shoved me into the bathroom and closed the door. "you better be clean the next time you come out of there!"

"alright, mom," i complained.

"hey, i just have your best interests at heart! now get on with that shower, because i'm not talking to you anymore until you do!"

"yeah, fine, whatever. just get off my ass."

he made a small noise of assent, and i quickly got undressed and hopped in the shower.

i closed my eyes and let the warm water wash over me, thinking about all that had happened in the past 24 hours.

i replayed the breakup in my head, as i had so many times.

i felt my throat tighten and my eyes sting, but rather than trying to hold back the tears, i sort of leaned into them. i knew that the harder i cried, the better i would feel after.

i thought about what had just happened. seeing asahi's face again. his broken up expression when he saw me. the sad strain in his voice when he spoke.

i continued to cry, but i figured i might as well be productive while crying, so i washed my hair and body. after i finished that, i was about done crying, so i turned my face to the water, flinching at how hot it was, and let it wash away my tears.

after that, i took some deep, calming breaths, and stepped out. i dried myself off, then made my way back to my room and put on comfy pajamas.

ryū was nowhere to be found, so i started wandering downstairs and smelled some good food. is it dinner time already?

i checked the clock.

5:47.

huh, i guess it's later than i thought. i must've spent a while in the shower.

when i got downstairs and went to the kitchen i saw... ryū helping my parents cook?

i blinked and rubbed my eyes, making sure i was seeing things correctly.

and i was, he was there adding the finishing touches to the food. tempura and sashimi with rice. and it looked like there was miso soup too!

my stomach rumbled. i hadn't eaten all day, so i was pretty hungry.

my mom looked over at me with a smile.

"hey, yuu? feeling better?"

i managed a tiny smile in return.

"yeah, a bit."

"feeling well enough for food?" my dad asked.

i smiled wider then.

"of course i am."

he laughed.

"yeah, you're definitely better now."

we all sat around the table and made small talk during dinner, then ryū and i went back to my room to watch some tv.

"listen, yuu... i don't wanna watch any show that's too sad, so... sailor moon!"

i looked over at him with a laugh.

"really?"

he grinned back.

"yep. this show is great, man. honestly."

i shrugged.

"okay, i'll trust you."

///

an hour and three episodes of sailor moon later, i was clinging to ryū's arm with my head on his shoulder.

"hey, ryū? do you think i'm still... like... i don't know how to describe it... a complete person and worthy of love?"

"what! of course you are! you don't need a relationship to prove anything about your worth!"

"are you sure about that? cuz i don't really feel like it," i confessed sadly.

"listen to me." he turned my face so that i was looking at him. his expression was dead serious. "of course you are still a whole person. you're one of the greatest people i know! you're my best friend, and you can always make me laugh, not to mention you're great with the first years, giving them advice and cheering them on no matter what. and your own skill on the court is impeccable, i must say. and plus, i think you have a real knack for finding lost things in just the right places. you have excellent taste in music and tv shows, and even when i first starting cooking and it sucked, you still encouraged me so i wouldn't give up! you're one of the awesomest people i know, nishinoya yuu, and don't go forgetting that, okay?"

i blinked back tears, swallowing my emotions, and nodded.

"yeah, alright."

"now come here and give me a hug," he said, laughing slightly.

i laughed too, and collapsed into his arms.

"thanks, ryū, i really needed that. i appreciate you so much, you don't even know. i don't know where i'd be without you."

"aw, thanks. i can say the same about you, bro. now, i think it's getting late and we still have one day left of school this week, so i should probably head home and get to bed. you gonna be there tomorrow?"

i sighed.

"yeah, i'll probably be there."

"alright." he gave me a thumbs up and climbed off my bed. "i'll see you tomorrow. and remember, you're strong. you can do this."

"thanks, ryū. i'll do my best."

"i believe in you."

then, he gave me one last hug, and left.

since i was going to school for friday, i went to sleep soon after he left, and dreamt of sailor moon.