Chapter 8

Echoheart padded alongside Whispersong and the young to-be, Star That Shines Bright, as they took a walk around the outside of the cave. Bumblefrost had gone on a hunting patrol early this morning with the Tribe cats, and Star had asked Echoheart and Whispersong if they wanted to go on a walk to talk about something. What that something was, Star hadn't yet explained.

"So," Echoheart began, turning to look at Star. "What did you want to talk to us about?"

The small silver tabby she-cat looked toward her with her one blue and one green eye. "I've been thinking about this for a while now, ever since you arrived. You came here for a reason, right? For something important. You didn't just want to explore the mountains."

"Yeah." Whispersong nodded slowly.

"What is the reason?" Star asked as she jumped onto an icy stone ledge.

Echoheart glanced at her sister, then sighed, deciding to get straight to the point. "There is a danger back home, back at our home. And we were told that mountain cats could help us."

Star looked intently at them. "Who told you?"

"StarClan," Whispersong murmured, gray tail twitching.

"Our warrior ancestors," Echoheart clarified.

Star sat down on the ledge, deep in thought. She waited for Echoheart and Whispersong to join her on the stone before continuing. "So you had a dream from your ancestors?"

Echoheart nodded cautiously, now becoming wary of the small Tribe cat. "How did you know?"

Star avoided the question, and continued up the rocky cliffs. "What was it about?" she asked quietly.

Whispersong looked sideways at Echoheart, and Echoheart blinked in confusion.

Star turned to look at them. "I think I can help you. Just tell me what your dream was, and I'll tell you mine."

"You  had a dream? From StarClan ?" Whispersong sounded as if she couldn't believe her ears, and Echoheart didn't blame her.

"No, from the Tribe of Endless Hunting, my ancestors," Star meowed, walking further up the slope. They were in the shade, the tall peaks around them blocking the sun as it rose toward sunhigh.

Echoheart shivered. "Alright," she sighed. "In our dream, there was a creature, larger than any we'd ever seen. It was huge, and kind of fat, with lots of thick black fur."

"And it had a large head," Whispersong added. "With small black eyes and huge, deadly fangs and claws."

Star narrowed her eyes in confusion. "Huh," she muttered, shaking her head in what Echoheart thought was disbelief and wonder. "What does this mean?"

"What does what mean?" Whispersong asked, staring at Star, who had settled down on a flat rock covered in snow.

"I... I had a dream like that too," Star murmured. "Except... a bit different." She sat still as the stone around her, eyes distant.

Echoheart shot Whispersong a confused glance. What does it mean?

"You had a similar dream to mine and Whispersong's?" Echoheart murmured.

Star nodded distantly, still staring off into the distance.

"So do you know what this creature is?" Whispersong breathed.

Star shook her head absently, still sitting rigid. "No, but I will try to figure it out. Let's get back to the cave and ask Stoneteller."

"Stoneteller?" Whispersong echoed, sounding nervous.