Chapter 5

A full moon flashed across Hailstorm's vision as he padded beside his Clanmates. The darkening forest was dappled with the silver light, the thin moonbeams slicing through the layers of leaves above the cats' heads. The stars glittered brightly against the black sky, and, as the trees began thinning out to the meadow, more and more of StarClan was visible.

Hailstorm lowered his gaze from the sky as he leapt over a fallen log, Eaglefeather behind him.

Eveningstar walked at the front of the patrol, Sunfur following him. The DawnClan leader had insisted on going to the Gathering, to Goldheart's disapproval. Eveningstar had persisted, telling the medicine cat that he was fine enough, and finally Goldheart had agreed.

So now Hailstorm, Eveningstar, Sunfur, Eaglefeather, Gravelpelt, Twilightfoot, Sparktail, Bronzepelt, Clovertail, and Creekfall were on their way to the Gathering. Eveningstar had the Gathering patrol larger than normal, and made of all warriors, to show DayClan that DawnClan was still strong despite the aftermath of the recent battle. But he'd also left some strong warriors back at camp in case DayClan tried anything or in case the badger came back.

Hailstorm looked at Eveningstar as he walked along in front of him. The DawnClan leader's wounds were clearly visible underneath his thick gray pelt, now crusted with dried blood. Hailstorm was surprised he wasn't weaker, but then he remembered what Prairiefoot had said: Eveningstar had lost a life. His worst wounds had been healed by StarClan.

Hailstorm shook away his thoughts as they reached the meadow. He shivered as he gazed out at the moonlit moor, feeling like there were DayClan cats hiding behind every patch of grass, every boulder, and every bush.

Hailstorm was suddenly aware of his wounds from the battle with DayClan a few days ago. They had started scabbing over, but they now stung like new as his memories flashed back to that dark night in NightClan's camp. He hoped the DayClan cats had wounds on their pelts as well so it didn't look like DayClan was stronger than the rest of the Clans, despite the fact that they'd lost the battle.

Eveningstar lead the way across the silvery water of the river, leaping from stone to stone as the rushing water splashed his paws. Sunfur followed him, Sparktail not far behind. Bronzepelt, Twilightfoot, and Creekfall took their turn next, and Hailstorm went after, carefully jumping from each wet rock to the other until he was on the safe ground of the riverbank. He stood next to the patrol and waited for the rest of their patrol to safely join them on the other side. Clovertail, Eaglefeather, and Gravelpelt came last, and, once they stood beside Hailstorm once more, Eveningstar turned and lead the patrol through the grassy moorland. The DawnClan patrol stayed close to the Thunderpath, fearful of DayClan accusing them of being too far into their territory. They couldn't afford a fight, especially not tonight.

"Eveningstar!"

Every cat turned toward the voice. Dark shapes raced across the Thunderpath: the DuskClan Gathering patrol. At the head was Orangestar, the DuskClan leader, and behind him was his deputy, Falconflight. A white tom followed, and Hailstorm immediately recognized him from the battle with DayClan.

"Hailstorm," the white tom meowed as he reached the other side of the Thunderpath.

"Hello, Blizzardclaw." Hailstorm dipped his head respectfully to the DuskClan warrior.

"How is DawnClan recovering from the battle?" Orangestar asked Eveningstar. "You still look wounded. Are you not healing?"

"Badger," Eveningstar replied grimly. "You haven't seen one have you?"

Falconflight shook his head stepping to his leader's side. "Nothing."

"Okay good. We drove it out, but we don't know where it went," Eveningstar replied.