"That, and extra human annoyingness." Caleb said, pushing me over.

"And super strength!" I said, pushing him back in one big burst. He didn't shift and bit his lip to keep from laughing.

"Riiiiight." He replied. "What's my superpower?"

Dominic came back in the room as he waited for the water on the stove to boil.

"Being super annoying?" he asked his brother, cracking his knuckles.

"I ALREADY USED THAT ONE ON MAYA." Caleb said, mad. Dominic and I looked over his shoulder at each other and cracked up again.

"Stop reading each other's minds! Read mine." He said, turning to me. I smiled and then turned my expression stern, as if I was processing.

His eyes were a light greenish blue, that I hadn't really noticed before. They swirled as I watched them, but I mostly used my peripheral vision to try to read his body language. His shoulders were relaxed, and his mouth was almost in the semblance of a smile; the corners tilted up fractionally. He sat farther back on the couch, not on the edge as if he was planning to get up any time soon. His hands were by his side, and not on his lap or pressed together. His nails weren't picked like he sometimes did when he was nervous.

"You're happy." I guessed confidently. "You're excited for something, I think? Maybe for tonight, hanging with Dom and me? Watching a movie and having dinner and not having to deal with Damon and Brooklyn, even though you wanted to hang out with them?" As I spoke, I watched his expression shift subtly, affirming that everything I said was true. I loved how people's eyes really seemed to speak, if you waited around long enough to listen.

His eyes lit up and I knew I guessed it right.

"How did you do that??" Caleb asked, jumping in his sight. Dominic came up beside him and said "Oh, please, squirt. It was obvious!"

He turned to his older brother and looked annoyed but spun back to me happily.

"Maya, you're really cool. And not just because of the mind reading. I'm glad you're here." He said, putting his hand on mine.

"I'm glad I'm here too." I said honestly. "Your family is amazing. Well, except for Damon."

I was joking, but my mind couldn't help but flash to what he said to me on the stairs. I'll never be their real sister. My smile may have slipped, but I pretended it hadn't to both appease Caleb and possibly maintain the joy I was feeling before.

"You'll get used to him." Dominic said, standing and heading to the kitchen to put the noodles in.

"It's true." Caleb repeated. "He's calmed down, too. You shoulda seen him as a kid!"

"He was picking fights a lot, I bet?" I asked, concerned, but thankful I knew the outcome and that he was okay now.

"You KNOW it. But Dominic did even more." Caleb said, looking back to the kitchen and back to me. My eyebrows rose in shock, and his did too in joy. He seemed very impressed with his older brother and pleased to have shared the gossip.

"DOM!" I yelled.

He walked out of the kitchen in a flowery pink apron. Caleb and I bust out laughing, but he ignored it, right hand on his hip and sauce covered spoon in his left. His face was very serious.

"Beautiful apron." I choked out.

"You called?" he asked seductively, ignoring us.

"You used to get in fights?" I asked eagerly. He seemed so calm and pulled together now. I wondered if I would ever be in a place where I could control my emotions like he did.