"Oddly enough, yes. It's like everyone else is in a snow globe, and we can sit back and relax."

"My mom used to take me here a lot," she admitted and took the crown off her head, placing it onto her lap. "Every special occasion. We'd sit up here for hours, and I'd ask for the same story over and over, and she always told it, always with the same details of her prom night. She always told the story with the same joy. After she was gone, I always thought winning this crown would mean that I'd feel closer to her."

I tightened my fingers around hers. "How do you feel?"

She paused and ever so slowly she looked at me, tears in her eyes but they weren't sad. Her lips quirked. "Happy."

I let her hand go and brushed a fallen strand of her hair back. "Me too."

"I always wanted you to be up here for this moment," she told me and then whispered, "Can I kiss you?"

I didn't answer but closed my eyes and waited. It was like lightning had struck down from the sky and circulated through my body as Sabrina kissed me, holding my face in both of her hands. Then, she pulled back with a laugh and pulled a strand of my hair out, showing me the pesky Sellotape that stuck to her finger, creating a giant mess of tangles.

She leaned in again, kissing me shortly before untangling herself and helping me up.

"We're leaving?" I asked.

"Hmm. I want to do things to you that aren't appropriate for this type of scene. Besides," she said and shrugged. "It's a little cold."

Couldn't argue there, but that didn't mean my breath hitched a little. The residue of the spark that surged through my veins from her kiss seemed to flicker and tingle in the car ride back. It didn't take us long to get back to her house. It was all dark and empty and quiet.

It was only when she was kissing me and leading me backwards into her bedroom that I realised what she could potentially see inside.

I tangled my hands in her hair and somehow managed to flip us over so that I pushed her onto the bed – but before I could jump onto the bed too, she blinked once and meaningfully, looking by me . . .

"Oh my god someone is here," she hissed, scrambling from the bed.

"There's no one here," I was quick to explain and searched around for the source of the break of the window. I found the much larger than I remembered stone on the ground and plucked it and held it up for her to see. "I only meant to get your attention; I swear."

"You tried to break into my house?"

"No!" I denied and grimaced as she pushed me back onto the bed.

"You threw a rock at my window."

"Pebbles," I corrected. "In the name of love."

"Oh yeah? Did you play music and sing while below my window too?"

I looked away.

"Hmm." She stepped toward the window and peered down below. "Oh, sweet Sam. Is that a bow and arrow?"

"You know what?" I said, standing up. "Bye."

"Aw, poor Samantha, all embarrassed and ready to run."

"Sure am." I headed to the door, but she slid in front of it, grinning and poking my chest. "That's fine. I don't need the door anyway. There's a perfectly good and basically open window right there."

"You wouldn't."

"You underestimate my ability to escape situations."

I twisted around and headed to the window and somehow managed to open it without breaking the glass any further. I sat on the windowsill with my legs out the window and laughed as she wrapped her hands around my waist and hugged me tightly.

"No running or . . . jumping out the window for you, Sam. You're stuck with me."

I grinned and placed my hands over hers. "I guess I can't ditch my date with the prom queen."

THE END