Two Hearts Beat as One

My mom and I shared an unholy obsession for Christmas

My mom and I shared an unholy obsession for Christmas. In fairness, shopping satisfied the joyful celebration of the holiday, but my dad hated accepting our collective characteristic. For him, we spent a ridiculous amount of his money starting in November and lasting until Christmas Eve.

"Jac... I can't find you," Farrah quipped. "Where are you?"

"Near the mall Christmas tree, I'm right in front." Huffing she hung up the phone. "She's such a dick," I mumbled.

Within five minutes, a rando androgynous boy approached. "Hey there."

"Uh, yeah... I have a boyfriend." Unmoved, I softened my bitchy tone and apologized, "Sorry, have a nice day, Happy Thanksgiving."

"Really?" The boy said, "Jac, it's me."

I stepped back, and gasped, "Farrah."

"Yup, now I don't have long, so—."

"What? Wait." Heated, I responded, "Wow, you're serious, again?"

"Kyler's meeting us here today."

Shocked by her news, I berated. "And you want me to pretend. I'm good."

"It's not that serious..."

"Yeah, it is." My brows creased as I fumed. "You're not a boy."

"Look, it's the last time, and I'll tell you everything."

"Nope, no..." I fretted. "You're on your own."

Turning away, she chimed, "Don't make me do it."

Facing her, I challenged, "Do what?"

"I can evoke the Friend Card, again."

"You suck," I muttered respecting the rules of our pact. "Fine, this is the last time."

"Alright, –we'll talk later." Farrah messed with her outfit. "Oh yeah, it's Farris."

I ridiculed. "Farris." Rolling my eyes, I loathed supporting her bad ideas. "I hate you."

"I love you... oh, she's coming."

"Hi, Farris." A smitten Kyler greeted as she hopped and wrapped her arms around his neck planting a long kiss. "Babe, I missed you... and you look good."

"Ahh... me too." Farris failed to appear macho in his skinny jeans as he sat down. "Man, these are too tight, I suck at shopping."

She guffawed, "No babe, they're hot. Sevens', right?" Then, she looked my direction, and said, "Hey, Jac. Nice to see you again."

Shuffling forward, and still amazed by her eyes sparkling with a light lavender haze among the gray of the blue near her iris. "Hi, Kyler."

Then, Farris' phone rang, and he answered straight away. "Sorry, it's my mom. BRB, girls."