Secret Identities

"Draven

"Draven..." My eyes expanded. "Uh, it's you."

"Sorry." Scratching the back of his head like a lost child, but the sparkle of the sunlight complemented his beauty. "I didn't mean to bother you..."

"No—no..." Faltering, as my brain ran out of words, and I repeated, "No, no bother... Good morning." I smiled.

"Good morning."

"I didn't wake you on my way up here?"

Sitting near, he grinned. "Nah, I saw you come downstairs, and I kinda followed you..."

"How come?"

"Uh, um..." Overlooking my question, he wiped the perspiration off his forehead. "It's warm, huh?" Then, he motioned to his own brow glistening. "Or do we both make each other nervous?"

With an absent smirk, I dabbed, embarrassed by his point. "Uh, um..." As usual, I lacked the words but recovered. "It's... ah, warm."

"But it's nice up here." Breaking our trance, he signaled toward the woods. "Man, this rooftop patio is everything."

Sitting by his side, distracted by his unbuttoned dress shirt exposing the tank undershirt as the top of his pecs peeked. I looked away. "My parents built it, after finding me climbing a shady ladder." Turning toward him, casting an illusion, his beauty mark twinkled. "For safety purposes."

"You've done this for a while," he said toying with his lapel. Controlling my nerves from running out-of-control, I concentrated on his childish act. "Let me guess, you got caught trying to watch a sunrise."

"Uh, kinda... um, yeah, because of my grandmother, who died,—she loved sunrises."

"Oh, sorry... I didn't know, I feel kind of stupid."

Smirking, I tucked a small piece of my hair behind my left ear in calming nerves. "No, it's cool." I walked over and leaned on the wooden beam. "When I was five, she had visited us from Samoa. And she didn't speak English. On the day she left, she showed me that watching the sunrise will always remind me of her."

"That's cool. And you're up here every morning?"

"I try. And I fail sometimes, because I like my sleep..." We chuckled. But I waged a war in settling my urges to not jump his lips. "Plus, it's a nice way to start my day."

Illuminating against the bright backdrop, he closed the gap between us. "That's interesting, like you." 

My pulse quickened at his avowal. "Thanks, I think."

"It's a good thing, I promise." He leaned toward my direction and crossed his heart. "I mean, you started a virgin club, and made being a virgin cool." The curve of his lips moved my own to mimic him. "See, that's interesting."

"Huh, your girlfriend and her minions don't think so." Dismissing the bite behind my words, Draven winced. "Then, again she's an egomaniac, I get it."