First Love

In pairs, the girls chased each other like babies jovial over their first steps

In pairs, the girls chased each other like babies jovial over their first steps. Failing in keeping them focused, we took a break. Strolling over to the bleachers, Rhawn ran by spraying Farrah with silly string. While I laughed, at Donovan, Kieran, and Silas setting up chairs for a game of musical chairs. I sat back, engulfed by their happiness, and glad we started V Squad.

But, I failed at shaking off the triggering memory of my fight with Dael mirroring my dream from last night. Like the part, where Draven saved me from drowning, and her. Each recollection left me breathless. Somehow, the universe rooted for our union, and I embraced the love. 

Yet, Dael stayed stuck on my mind, as well. Earlier, in the day, the dean had called us into the office. She learned about Dael's confession. And apologized on behalf of the school. Also, the Kelsey's had agreed to pay for the damages and fund future school events. 

Plus, she granted us permission to choose the Cheer Squad's punishment. We agreed each of them received janitorial duty for two weeks. We were lenient because we dyed them orange. They suffered.  

Imagining Dael picking up trash or removing gum from underneath desks left us satisfied. Even this afternoon, she boiled with rage as she stewed while stabbing at litter with serial killer strength. Another upside, I celebrated the ending of her relationship.

"Gross it hasn't even been 24 hours." Farrah shoved her phone into my face. "Don't shoot the messenger."

A hurtful bang shot through my heart. Not dwelling in my suffering, I recovered from the pain. "It's cool. It doesn't matter to me." 

Before Farrah interjected Silas beamed as she approached. "Seen Rai?"

"I think she's at her locker." Taking the breather, I leaped at the chance. "I'll grab her."

"Oh no, Jac. I can."

"Nah, I don't mind."

On my way out, Sasha glanced down as I waved. Sensing his sadness, a weird thought because earlier he had celebrated Silas accepting his invitation to the dance.

When approaching his locker in the morning he had smeared off sweat from under his nose. Following his gaze led to Silas. Excited by my luck in catching their rare moment, I had exclaimed, "Yes, oh my gosh, yes!" And lightly, I had tapped his chest as he simpered.

He kneaded his neck. "Huh?" Confused, he said, "But I didn't ask you anything."

"Oh, right." Giggling, I threw my head back. "A hundred percent yes."

"Yeah?" Calmness overcame him as he had exhaled. "Did your brothers tell you?"

"Huh. My brothers?"

"That I–"

Interfering, I had placed my hand on his chest, and his heart vibrated with a fierce beat. "Crazy, I know... I figured it out."

"Uh, you did?"