Chapter 44

The King Condemns

The royal palace, has finally seen the return of their King and Queen.

A carriage slowly passed by a line of royal guardsmen, and both military and civil officials poured out of the palace to greet them after their long absence.

"Hahaha, now this is quite the welcome."

The enthusiasm from the courtiers at their lord's return brought out a cacophony of delighted cheers, causing the King to ease up on his formal poise. Even though a welcome like this was against custom, it would certainly make anyone feel popular.

The Queen was smiling as well.

"We have been absent a long time. They must have fully realized how grand Your Highness's existence was in that time."

"But after 1 week, I'm sure they'll start saying how oppressive I am again."

"Well, in that case Your Highness. I'll have to begin to distrust the loyalty of your retainers."

"Hahahahahaha"

From the window of the slowly moving carriage, you could see the numerous clerks and military officers rushing forward one after another to meet the King's carriage. And the courtiers lined along the road looked truly happy from the bottom of their hearts.

........they actually looked a little too happy.

"...........My Queen. Isn't there something strange about all of this?"

"...........I was just thinking the same thing."

The people who had run up to greet them were waving their hands in the air way too energetically.........rather than coming back from a business trip, it was more like the King and Queen were being welcomed by a parade after a successful military campaign........no, it was more like they were desperately needed reinforcements arriving during a difficult siege.........

"Perhaps.........Elliott's disturbance........."

"...........let's go back to our chambers to compose ourselves, and we can confirm everything then."

So with mixed feelings swirling around in their hearts, the King and Queen's procession continued through an enthusiastic welcome.

Informed of his parents' return by a chamberlain, Prince Elliott's expression tightened.

"So then Father and Mother have finally returned........yosh! Since things have already come to this, I have nothing left to do but to complain about Rachel's injustices with all my heart!"

Last night, the villainous noble girl was so heinous that as a man he had to try and assassinate her.

"In an hour's time, they shall immediately hold an audience in the small hall to make a ruling on the previous engagement abandonment."

"Mm. I'll head over there at once as well."

"Yes. .........would you like me to push you?"

"Yes, please!"

And so the chamberlain pushed Elliott's wheelchair out of his office.

Rachel deflated a bit when Sofia informer her the King, Queen, and her parents had returned.

"Is that so.........I wish they would've been a little slower."

The word 'bothersome' was written clear as day on Rachel's face.

"I don't think a trial by absentia would work out too well for you."

"That's right..........I guess I don't have any other choice."