Chapter Fifty-Three

Start from the beginning

I know that deep down inside, Bryce also just wanted tonight to be extra special, and having sex for the first time in awhile certainly will be something.

I glance towards Knox and Nathan, who are sitting on the leather armchairs next to the couch, before I look to Kennedy again. I can't help but to grin impossibly wide as I tell her, "Bryce bought me a dress. Do you want to come and see it? It's in our closet in the bedroom."

At that, Kennedy shoots up from the couch. "Hell yes, I want to see it! Nate! Knox! Let's go look!" she exclaims, grabbing my hand so that she can yank me up off the couch as well.

Without waiting for Knox and Nathan to follow, we hurry into the bedroom, Kennedy in the lead. She barely gives me enough time to flick on the lights before she's dragging me into the closet, actually taking time to switch on this light.

I know the moment she spots the dress because she drops my hand and claps her own hands together enthusiastically.

The dress isn't anything extravagant, not by any means.

It's made of a silky, cherry red material, no jewels or lace. It's fairly fitted, and it falls just below my knees, with the exception of the long slit up one side that goes all the way up to my thigh. The neckline is plunging, the back is cut fairly low as well, and the straps are simple.

Somehow, it's perfect, though. I was wearing a red dress somewhat similar at the Valentine's Day school dance last year, after all.

"Can I help you get ready? How long do we have until Bryce gets here?" she asks excitedly.

Something about the idea of having Kennedy help me get ready for a date just like when we were still roommates makes my heart feel light.

"We have time before he gets here? Will you help me do my hair?" I ask, all of my own excitement bubbling up.

Kennedy nods and grins. "Of course I will! God, I missed this. You should go get changed first. Then we can start on your hair and makeup."

I smile impossibly wide as Kennedy pulls the dress off of its hanger, draping it over one of her shoulders. She gestures for me to follow her before she exits the closet and heads back into the bedroom.

I shut the lights off and close the door after us. I then follow Kennedy to the centre of the room, where she sets my dress down gingerly on the bed before plopping back on the bed herself.

Knox and Nathan suddenly appear in the dow, and Kennedy takes one look at them before she says, "I changed my mind. I'm helping Lexi get ready for her date. You have to wait for the grand reveal."

Nathan sighs and heads back into the living room immediately, but Knox gives Kennedy a strange look before he shuts the bedroom door and walks away.

Kennedy laughs a little bit to herself before she turns to look at me again. "Are you going to go put this on? I'm really excited to see."

I'm just about to nod and grab the dress off of the bed before a sudden thought strikes me.

I bite my lip and look at Kennedy. "Yeah. But I need help deciding on something else first."

Kennedy quirks one of her eyebrows up at me and I give her a small smile before I disappear back into the closet, not bothering to flick on the lights as I find what I need.

When I emerge from the closet for good this time, I have a black lingerie set in one hand and a white lingerie set in the other.

Kennedy shoots up in bed, her eyes widening. She sits there and stares at me for a few moments before she stands up and hurries towards me.