Monroe

Monroe

It was a scorching July summer day. The humidity blanketed my skin. The sun was blazing its rays down on me. I always welcomed the heat of the summer but today was unbearable.

The bleacher stands had no awning and we were barely half way done with Mason's t ball game. Ellie was sitting on Reese while Millie handed her toys back and forth from the next up bleachers.

"Where's Dex?" Reese asked "Is he not coming?"

"Um, he didn't respond to my text so I'm going to assume he's not." I said

Already irritated by Dex's inability to care. For a second I looked down at my ring and it made me sick.

"It's 6:20, there's no way he's still working." "You should call him." Reese said

"I'm not going to waste my time. He's aware of the game, he's just choosing them over us. As usual." I said not wanting to discuss the situation

"Monroe, sometimes I just want to shake him and tell him how good he has it with you guys." "I could give him a good smack down if you'd like!" Reese said with a half-smile.

"Have you started wedding planning at all? Colors, center pieces, venue, etc.?"

"Uh, no." "Actually I haven't given it any thought since his proposal." I said

"You haven't even set a date yet?" Reese asked as she re applied sunscreen on Ellie

"No. Should I be?"

"Monroe, I don't want to be to forward but is marrying Dex something you really want to do?"

"Hey, sorry ladies, I saw an old collogue of mine when I was getting the popcorn." Kane said "Did I miss anything?"

Kane handed me a bag of popcorn. It took all my efforts to not stare at him. I wanted to admire him. He wore a three quarter sleeve baseball t-shirt that fitted his chest down to his waist. He wore a backwards Boston hat. His face was shaved and his cheeks had a touch of redness from the sun.

"Not really, Sean hit the ball though." Reese said not really caring. Then turning her head back to me.

"I don't know Monroe. Is it important to you that Dex be here?" Reese said

"Well ya."

"Is it important to Mason that he's here?"

"Yes, Reese of course."

"Then he should be here. Knowing that it's important to you both." Reese said

I rolled my eyes

"Yea Reese I already know that. I'm really not in the mood to justify for his actions." I said with a feeling of sickness come over me

"I'm not asking you to defend his actions." "All I'm saying is if you haven't put any thought or action into the wedding then do you really think it's a good idea?" Reese said

I could see Kane on the other side of Reese trying not to look like he was eves dropping on our conversation.

The sun that still had a few hours to set started to beat me down. My head felt heavy and I felt my breaths becoming quick. I didn't want to discuss Dex not being there knowing well that he was out drinking. Something else was wrong though. I felt myself become light headed. All of a sudden I felt my body become heavy and weak. I felt myself swaying and unable to make the shakiness pass.

I had worked out that morning, mowed the acreage in the afternoon, did lawn work for my mother, then barely had time to shower and come to Mason's game. I hadn't recalled drinking any water other than what was in my coffee that morning.