Monroe

MONROE

"I just thought he would be happier that we were expecting" Reese said "I know he doesn't want any more after this and that's fine but I still thought he would have a little more excitement" Reese said as she was wiping one tear from under her glasses

"I'm sure he is happy Reese." I said "I feel guys take longer to become excited about having another baby, your still in your first trimester, he'll come around I'm sure of it" I said trying not to sound hesitant

"Could you do me a favor and slice the pie for later Reese?"

I didn't like lying to Reese like that. She was my best friend and I never held back with her. Even if I knew it would hurt her feelings. I was certain though that he wouldn't become happy with the idea of Reese being pregnant. Of course he would accept it and raise the child as well as has been rearing Sean but there was something different with Kane. I only knew Kane and Reese for six years at this point but I knew Kane well enough to see how he was fading with Reese. Detaching from their marriage. Hurt me more that I could see it and Reese was entirely oblivious to it. Every marriage has their highs and lows but I felt as if this low for Kane was never going to rise again.

I saw Reese looking out the window at the guys and the boys. "I just love how big your guys back yard is, the boys can just run around and tire themselves out" she said

Knowing well that she heard me ask for help with slicing the pie.

"Does it look like Dex started the grill yet?" I asked while tossing the oil in the bowl of mixed vegetables.

"Well, all I can tell you is there both bull shitting, laughing, and drinking beer Monroe. Doubtful if any grill has been started" she said with laughter

"I can't see much though because all your house plants are blocking my view."

I laughed

"I'm just glad Kane has Dex as a friend. You know how our men can be not much for emotional socializing." Reese said

"I couldn't agree more, as always I'm so happy to have you both in our lives" I said full heartedly

Reese turns back to face me "Oh Monroe, yours such a sap." She says she puckered her lips together and pretends to air kiss me.

"I'm going to go re do my lip liner before we have dinner" Reese said "Do you have any dark pink in your makeup?"

"Ummm I might, I probably do, just look in the back of the white vanity under the towel rack."

I grabbed a knife and started slicing into the pie. With every little piece of crust that fell I snuck it between my fingers and placed it in my mouth. The sweet flakiness of the crust tickled my taste buds. My butter to flour ratio was on point, I wasn't going to let one crumb go to waste.

I look up for a moment and see Kane coming up from the back yard towards the house. His long stride almost in slow motion. A tall man with a lean but powerful figure. He wasn't the size of Dex but he looked just as strong. He had a smile on his face which meant Dex and him were probably exchanging some dumb jokes. He comes in the sliding door and shuts it behind him. I could feel his eyes staring at me as I was slicing the pie. Kane would always smile with his whole face when he was truly happy, that or the buzz from the beer was getting to him. Even through his scruffy beard I could see every muscle in his face become elated.

As Kane walked closer to me I felt a small tightening in my chest. I swallowed the existing piece of crust that was still dancing in my mouth. I always felt guilty for my body reacting from seeing Kane. As soon as the tightening of my chest became tighter I felt his hand on my upper back asking if there was anything he could help with. I couldn't help my thoughts but thinking how I would love it if he lowered his hand down to my lower back and embraced me closer. As quickly as the thought entered my wondering mind I forced myself to think of something else. The boys were screaming and I passed him off to them, while sneaking another fallen piece of crust into my mouth.