Monroe

Monroe

We pulled up to the cabin and the only word I could think of was, majestic.  The drive would have taken us ten hours but with the kids it took just shy of twelve. Stopped to feed Millie, bathroom breaks, and Dex who wanted to get it out and walk around every time we stopped.  We were able to stop outside of Denver for dinner so it put us at the cabin just after dark.  Pulling up to the cabin made me feel like I was in a fairytale movie.  It was lightly snowing, just dainty flurries that seemed to take forever to land. The boys were itching to get out knowing there was a game room in the basement It was  loaded with a pool table, ski ball, ping pong table, just to name a few.

Dex put the suburban in park and looked back at the boys.

"Boys, now you can go straight downstairs to play with Sean but you have to not only take in your bags but also your sisters and moms." "Got it!" Dex said sternly

"yes yes yes, just open the back dad!" Vance said while bouncing up in down in his seat

Reese and Kane were there already for a couple of hours. I looked over at Dex and he reached for my knee. Squeezing it firmly he said "I'm actually excited for this weekend, it should be fun."

I gave him a smile back

"I agree, let's try to make the best of it." I said

Dex grabbed Millie in the car seat and we headed our way up the front door. All of the lights were on inside.  The amber lights illuminated through the dozens of windows of the three story log cabin.  It looked like the cabin should be on the cover of a Colorado Lodge magazine.  Walking up to the front door my eyes looked inside through one of the huge windows, I stopped and gazed at a large rustic looking deer antler chandelier that hung in the entry way of the cabin. My stare slowly went from gawking at the antler chandler to scoping the entire main level. 

Dex held the door open for me and when I stepped in I instantly smelled fresh pine and cinnamon. 

I felt the smile on my face since we pulled up in the drive way. 

"Wow, this place is phenomenal." Dex said

"Hey guys, isn't this place great." Kane said as he walked to meet us in the entry way.

"Come on in. I can help with the bags." Kane said

"I'll just take them to our room real quick then you can show us the whole house if you don't mind." Dex said

"Oh yea, for sure, right this way is where you both can stay." Kane said

He leads us up the stairs. Everything is made out of modern rustic looking logs.  The stair case was immensely detailed with great craftsmanship that I knew Dex was bound to comment on.

"Monroe, look at this staircase!" Dex said

He takes his rough hands and slowly grazes it over the stairway.

"I was just waiting for you to say something, it is nice." I said

He admired detail in things that I would always over look. 

"So basically you guys can have the top floor. Its three bedrooms up here with two baths.  Make sure you check out your bedroom. It not only has a stone shower but a full size deck overlooking the forest.  I just can't wait to check it all out in the morning." Kane said with excitement

I couldn't help but starring at his backside when he was showing us the third floor.  He had a blue and green plaid button up shirt on which laid nicely over his fitted gray t shirt. Everyday I've thought about the evening we kissed. The more I tried to suppress what happened or my feelings it would just make me think of it more.  Which was all the reason why I never made plans as couples since that night.  Every time Reese wanted to do dinner or for all of us to hang out I would just say how I was busy at the store or even lie about the kids being sick just so I didn't put myself in an awkward situation.