Monroe

Monroe

"Stop crying sweetie, don't you shed one more tear on that man child. I'll just send Kane over. I don't care what you say I'm sending him over. He won't mind I'm sure! It needs fixed. I'm hanging up now before you change your mind. Ill text you later." Reese said as she hung up the phone.

"What was that all about?" Kane asked

"Monroe, something went wrong with the hot water heater and she needs to do baths for the kids." Reese said

"Monroe said that it was a rough day with Millie, Vance got in trouble at school and is refusing to do his homework, and Mason broke a vase from kicking a ball in the house." Reese said "Jesus, I couldn't deal with all that, what a flipping circus." "Dex has been made well aware of it all too." Reese said while her eyes rolled

"Where's Dex at then?" Kane asked

"That bastard is still drinking at the shop and won't come home. She even told him it was out and that she still has to give the kids a bath but I guess that doesn't phase Dex. God he can be such a selfish prick sometimes." "I get so angry when he pulls this shit on Monroe." Reese said

Reese barely finished her sentence when Kane was putting his coat on.

"I certainly can figure out a water heater issue. I'm going to stick around there until I know for sure it's fixed. It might take an hour or so." Kane said

"That's fine, you know how Monroe is. She would just let it sit until someone came to fix it. She could at least fiddle with it to see what could be the problem, but whatever." Reese said

"That woman does a lot already. She chooses not to boggle her mind with things like how to fix a water heater because she should be able to depend on her partner to fix things." Kane said as he was walking out the front door.

I barely could see Kane's headlights pull in the driveway through all the harvest dust. I quickly put my shirt down from feeding Millie and picked the house up as quickly as I could. I just got done cleaning up after dinner and after dishes realized there was no hot water. It was typical of Dex to drink with his employees after work. And about every three months he would really push it and not come home until one or two in the morning or just stay there all night.

My hurt over time turned into resentment and anger. I loved Dex but on these nights it was hard to even consider wanting to be with him anymore. In the six years we were together every time he did this to me and the kids I would distance myself a little more. I was the one to be left at home to raise the children and tend to the home and never being able to have a mental break from life as he got so graciously almost every night after work. He was a selfish man that would put his needs almost always over me or the children. He would complain about the men he worked with but when it came to drinking with them for some reason he was the first to offer a beer. I was angry that he carelessly was hurting me but his kids also. Not to mention that one not being my own. His drinking binging nights never ceased to land on an evening that something decided not to work anymore. Tonight being one of them.

I finished off the last sip of my cabernet and with a smile opened the back door to Kane. I felt such a need for him in that moment. I was very happy to see him. Outside I was smiling but inside I was in agonizing pain. I tried desperately to keep it together for the sake of the kids and my pride. It took everything in me to not start crying as he came in with an eager smile to help. I felt guilty that he had to leave home in the early evening to come here to help. Not only guilty but embarrassed. Embarrassed that I was that girl. The woman who stayed with a man who didn't love her as much she loved him.

"Is Sean with you?" asked Mason

"No, bud it's just me tonight. I'm here to fix your water heater." Kane said