III_4

Antyakshari = Songs competition.

***********

Dance rehearsals turned out to be my new favorite pastime. Not only do I get to spend time with Anju, I have her in my arms for most of it.

It's no secret she's waiting for the wedding hungama to be over but I am equally adamant about enjoying every second of it.

Her immediate reaction on learning the news of having a professional choreographer was pure, unadulterated shock. The concept of Sangeet itself was alien for the family but having rich in-laws also means accepting all their practices without question.

Besides, Ananya wants it and who can say no to the bride!

The four days until we began our journey to the groom's native place had been chaotic. First, the dance rehearsals, then a second trip to the city to Anju's tailors, then another time so I can get a matching kurta pajama for our Sangeet performance together.

All in all, it's safe to say we got through it in one piece and with no more arguments.

We started early on the day of Sangeet; right after breakfast. Ananya's family arranged for a mini-bus to take us from Vizag to Kakinada; where Sangeet and then wedding will take place.

By the time I hopped on to the bus after taking care of loading up everything along with Anju's dad, the seat beside my best friend is taken.

"Madhu....." I said nothing else except give her a pleading look which she understood and got away before Anju can protest.

"Miss me?" I said, taking the seat Madhu vacated.

"No" Anju replied, looking away and through the window.

"Liar" I grinned.

For the next half an hour, Anju pretended that I do not exist. With her air-pods in, she listened to music for a while before switching to YouTube.

The bride seemed to take offense at the mood in the bus for she stood up and announced to everybody "Are we going to a funeral?"

"Why is everyone so dim?" she continued with a look of annoyance "Madhu, get up. Let's start a game of antyakshari"

"You gotta be kidding me" Anju mumbled under her breath with her significant blank look.

"You don't want to sing?" I said.

"You don't want to make it to the wedding?" she asked in a bored tone.

I laughed "There are worse singers than you, on board"

"Like?"

"Guess we will find out" I said, as Madhu began singing one of Chiru's 90's hits.

They divided into two groups but eventually it turned out to be one huge mess as the order of singing got mixed up and no one knew who's from whose group.

"Oh God!" I commented at the voice of one of Ananya's uncles.

"Do we have a winner?" Anju seemed curious all of a sudden.

"We have to wait. Some voices are still unheard" I mumbled under my breath.

"The only people who haven't are you and me"

"No. Look at that old lady two seats down from Nandu. Her voice is lost among the sea of voices every time. Nobody knows what she sounds like"

"Probably like the ones who sing at temple mike sets"

I laughed remembering the terrible voices from Lord Ram's temple near our street "Probably"

An hour later, their enthusiasm waned and one by one, quit participating.