III_14

"What do you mean I'll have to learn how to cook?" Anju shouted from across the hall.

I flinched in spite of expecting her ire. Things are definitely not going as planned.

"I told you not to get angry" I reminded my words from before starting the conversation.

She pinched her lips into a thin line "I am not angry"

"Why would I be angry? It's not like I hate cooking" she added sarcastically.

"You don't hate cooking. You hate that it's one thing you can't seem to grasp no matter how much you tried"

She glared at me but replied "It's not like I want to do it, either"

"But you have to eat. Don't you?" I said in a teasing tone.

"I can order" she said with a roll of her eyes.

"Yes, if you want to spend all your hard earned money on food"

She scowled but relented on her stubbornness after a moment's thought "Fine. You have a point! But I have Anusha who loves to cook"

"You can't be sure about that. We don't know when she will return to India for her marriage" I pointed out.

Fortunately, things worked out well between Sanketh and Anusha. The cousins have apparently admitted their feelings for each other ending their five year long feud.

Their families have gotten together and proceeded with their engagement promptly.

Anju was thrilled upon hearing the news but remained tight lipped about her part in it; her screaming with excitement, into her phone, reminding me how much she changed.

"I wish she'd come while I am still here" she said wistfully.

I smiled tightly unable to turnaround the conversation to her upcoming departure. We still have ten days left and all I can think of, is how much I am going to miss her when she leaves me again.

"But you are right. I should learn cooking. The only reason I survived without burning a hole in my pocket, is Anusha" Anju agreed grudgingly.

"Now, now. Don't sulk already. I am yet to start teaching you" I replied cheerfully but she didn't look happy.

We began with the simple task of chopping vegetables which didn't seem so simple an hour later. Harvesting the vegetables from scratch would take lesser time, I joked only to be at the receiving end of Anju's scowls. Multiple times.

By evening, there is some progress. Anju managed to learn the precision of cuts required for different kinds of vegetables and curries.

"Oh My God" Auntie's shriek of surprise when she arrived home made me feel guilty as I looked around the mess we made in her kitchen.

"I am so sorry. We will clean everything by the time you freshen up" I added quickly, wondering how she'd react when she learns we ruined every vegetable in the refrigerator.

"You are teaching her how to cook?" she remarked, her expression a mixture of joy and shock.

"She wanted to learn" I lied, only to be busted by Anjali's disbelieving snort.

Her mother chuckled at my expense, running her eyes all over the counter before settling her gaze back at me "You are aiming for the impossible, Vamsi. But, my best wishes to you"

Anju scowled at her mother while I laughed "Do you mean I'm useless at cooking?"

Auntie raised an eyebrow "Isn't that obvious?"