III_2

Any delusion about things going back to normal with Anjali because she cried in my arms is cleared the moment I entered her house, the next morning.

Plopped on the sofa with a blanket around her, she continued watching TV without acknowledging my presence.

"Good morning" I said, settling beside her.

"Good morning" she replied, without taking her eyes off screen.

"Where's everyone?" I asked casually.

"Dad's gone to work. Amma went to city with aunty about Ananya's blouse designs. Nannamma's sleeping" she recited mechanically.

"And you are watching----- The Notebook?" I couldn't hide the surprise off my voice if I tried.

"There's nothing else on tv" she replied in the same monotonous tone.

"How is it?"

"Sad and pathetic"

I laughed. Only she can say that and actually mean it.

"Couldn't sleep last night?" I asked slowly. 

She nodded.

And that's my cue to shut up. We watched the rest of the movie in silence. Because I already saw the film before, I stared at Anjali at regular intervals to gauge her reaction.

Only, there isn't any.

"Have you seen the movie before?" I asked when the end credits rolled.

It's a popular movie that's probably watched by every English movie goer but for as long as I knew Anjali, she never liked romances or romantic comedies.

"I did" she said, changing the channels.

"Really?"

At my tone of surprise, she glanced at me "When you live with three girls, your options are limited"

"Tell me about those girls" I said casually, hoping to strike a conversation.

"Nothing much to say" she shut down, disappointing me.

"Do you miss them?" I pressed on, hoping to change her mood.

"I guess"

Her phone ring broke the sudden silence and she swore, noticing the caller ID "Damn!"

"Yes... I'm so sorry. Yes. I forgot... Yes, it was comfortable.. No.. I did not forget you. Ok.. Yeah, thanks.. I will keep that in mind"

Her one sided conversation didn't make sense, so I asked her straight "Who's that?"

"Vicky" she said, throwing the phone on the couch.

"Vicky---- who?" I said curiosity getting the better of me.

"We just call him Vicky" she said absentmindedly.

That's not what I meant, I wanted to add but the fear of her response forced me to keep myself in check and shut my mouth.

"What are your lunch plans?" I asked instead.

"Amma said I can order from this app called Swiggy"

"You can't make anything?"

"Rice" she said blankly "That too, only in current cooker"

"You do that, I can make a curry in the mean time" I stood up, offering my hand to her.

For ten seconds, she stared at it before taking my hand to follow me.

When she threw the blanket away, I got a good look at her pajamas. Instead of her usual tee and track pants that I was used to seeing her in, she is wearing a cream and red night suit that not only looked tailor-made but also made her look adorable.