(18) Realization.

Start from the beginning

Pamela moved quietly, but cautiously. Bob's eyes roamed the room again and fell on her. She froze and tried to look bored. Maybe she should hum a tune. Twinkle twinkle little star was a little bit inappropriate, but she could hum the one coming from the speakers.

Bob jerked and placed a hand on his ear. He turned away and started speaking.

Not believing her luck, she all but raced from the room and took the lift to the ground floor. And as the elevator dinged and the door opened, she bumped into a hard body.

~

In the end, curiosity won. He just couldn't keep still. He was having an eerie feeling in his guts that something was amiss. The maps he'd been studying were useless anyway. One of his trusted spies had given it to him. It was the only way they could locate Bull's hideout.

The guy they had captured had been useless and stupid. He'd stood by Bull, showing him indisputable loyalty. Devlin wondered if his boys will go to such lengths to be loyal after being tortured. He had no doubt they would.

Bull's boy refused to break, even after severe torturing. But Devlin hadn't gone to him personally. It was his boys that did his dirty work now. It would have to be extremely urgent before he made his hands dirty with Bull's trash. So, all he could do was connect with his spies across the country, to ask for something, anything, that would expose Bull's hideout. All he'd gotten was an archaic map. Still, it was better than nothing. He'd traveled down to Texas to collect the maps himself.

Still, it had been on a dead end. Zilch. That had gotten Devlin mad. His only consolation was that his men hadn't been killed in the shootout. Hurt, yes – and that was enough to make him want to snap Bull's neck – but he was glad they were alive.

He also didn't want to go into battle blind. He needed eyes, ears, and a goddamned map.

He stood and went to refill his glass. Taking a sip, he picked up his phone and fiddled with it. He wanted to know if she was alright. If she was safe. He'd never left her alone in his safe house. He hated leaving her alone. The last time he had let her go to her father's funeral, he'd been more than glad to bring her back.

After the funeral and her hurtful rejection, he'd sworn never to bother himself with her issues anymore, but he hadn't been able to sleep well that night so he'd stationed his men outside her house to watch over her. By mid-morning the next day, they had called him to report suspicious vans around her residence and Devlin had dropped everything to go protect her. There was no one more qualified than he was. So he really couldn't be blamed if he wanted to check up on her although over fifty of his capable men were in the safe house with her.

He unlocked his phone and almost dialed her cell but changed his mind. After two more displays of cowardice, he decided to call Austin, one of his boys.

"Hello, sir." Austin picked up at the first ring.

"How's it going?" He asked, his voice clipped and professional

"We're safe. No danger around. Everyone is fine."

"And the lady?" Devlin almost hit himself for asking of her so soon into the conversation. But he couldn't wait any longer.

Austin hesitated and Devlin immediately knew something was wrong.

, "Uh boss –"

"Spit it out." He growled.

"The lady left the safe house –"

Devlin shot out of his chair. "What?!" He yelled. Cody ran into the study in alarm, his gun raised. He lowered it when he saw nothing was wrong.

"B-Bob went w-with her –" Austin's voice was shaking.

"How dare you let her leave? Where did she go?" He asked.

"Her f-father's company. I think."

"You think? You think? What did I order you? You're a dead man Austin. Dead." He snarled and hurled his phone against the wall and the screen shattered.

He balled his fists. "Get through to Bob." He said with gritted teeth.

Cody approached cautiously with the wireless device and handed it to Devlin. He yanked it and put it into his ears.

"Cody?"

"How dare you let her leave the safe house without my permission?"

"I – I'm sorry sir."

"Where is she?" He bit out.

"She's right –" He could hear Bob panting from the other end as if he wanted to faint. "She was right here! S–she escaped, boss. I– I– I can't find her. I could swear I saw her a second ago. I'll go check the bathroom –"

Dread settled over Devlin and it rendered him speechless and paralyzed with fear. With a pang, he recalled Peter's words, of him falling in love and she crushing his heart. He realized now that he might have fallen in love, and his heart was crushing. Crushing from pain and anguish and fear. The realization was like a breath of fresh air, that something he had been denying all along was true, but with that realization came the panic and dread that was coursing through him in shocking waves like he'd held a naked, electric wire.

She was all alone. She was in danger. If Bull got his hands on her –

He stood abruptly, his jaw set in determination. He was not going to give up now of all times. He was not going to lose her. He was not going to get his heart crushed. He was going to prove Peter wrong by showing that he could love and protect his heart from being crushed.

"I'm on my way."

~

Thank you so much for reading. Please vote, comment your thoughts, add to your library and reading lists, and share. Thank you.