Chapter 13 ~ When It Rains

Começar do início

"Titus gave you a place to meet?" Padraig asked as we stepped out into the cool night air.

I frowned, realising we'd never exactly discussed that with Titus last night. I'd been so eager to leave. While he'd promised that he hadn't aligned himself with Airell, there was something about him that rubbed me the wrong way. Perhaps it was his dislike for Leyla that made. Either way, he didn't trust us and I didn't trust him.

"He didn't have to," Atanas replied, making my frown deepen. "He had a vampire waiting for us at the alley. We'll go there."

Shrugging, that made sense enough to me. Atanas lead the way, his hand still in mine. I felt the cold brush of the short sword he kept hidden beneath his long jacket. We were set on catching a vampire tonight. Only Padraig carried no weapon and I was interested to know if he was a fighter.

Making our way closer to the centre of the city, the air was filled with the scent of fear. The police were out in force tonight, armed men and women patrolling the streets with grim faces. They watched us warily and I tugged my leather jacket into place so the place at my hip was definitely hidden.

Hopefully they would cause us no bother. Getting mixed up with human law enforcement was really the last thing we needed.

"They're expecting something tonight," I murmured quietly, the sight of guns making me twitchy.

Atanas guided us through the quieter streets, doing his best to avoid the police. "Nothing happened last night, it's put them in edge. We're going to have to be more careful than usual."

"That's an understatement. Those small boxes they're wearing, they're cameras. And they've now got footage of us." Padraig seemed less than pleased by this turn of events. "We can't have us appearing too much if they watch it back, it'll cause suspicions."

Realising I'd been staring a little too much, I turned away from the group of three officers that were now looking at us too. I wondered what we looked like to them. Humans could sense there was something different about us, some deep primal instinct from times gone by that told them we were predators. And that they were prey. Humans were too used to being too of the food chain, most brushed the feeling off but a few found us too unsettling to be around.

Unfortunately, they seemed to have come to the same conclusion we had; the bodies were being dumped in high tourist areas. It was going to be more than difficult to stay out of sight. I looked up at the roofs, wondering if it'd be better to travel and hunt above ground. We'd have a better view and there'd be less chance of us being spotted.

When we reached the alley from last night, there was no sign anyone was here. The police tape had peeled away from one of the walls, the yellow plastic fluttering in the soft breeze.

Atanas yanked me quickly against the wall as a patrol walked past, human eyes scanning the dark. At least there were no lamps nearby so while we could see them clearly, they wouldn't be able to see us. Once they passed, we walked towards the dead end.

"Now what?" I muttered, the chime of a clock echoing around us.

It was still early in the evening, the sun having only set an hour or so ago. The moon was trying to glow through the heavy clouds and I could smell earthy water in the air. It was going to rain. That didn't bode well for us. It'd wash away scents.

Atanas leaned against the brick wall, looking every bit the supermodel with his messy dark hair and blue eyes that glowed in the dark.

"We wait," he said simply.

I sighed. Waiting meant exercising patience. Patience wasn't something I had in abundance.

***