"Hey there." He said, finally next to me.

I said nothing, but wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him down to my level and hugging him tight. As if instinct, his arms wrapped around my waist, holding me close. I hardly ever got to experience this with Mike, as we were always fighting. It felt nice to be held again.

We pulled away slowly, as I looked up into his eyes, smiling up at him.

"Let's go sit down so we can talk?" I asked, unwrapping my arms from his neck and resting my hands on his biceps.

"Sure." He replied, releasing my waist but instantly taking my hand and interlocking our fingers.

We walked to a picnic table as my heart continued to beat out of my chest. I tried to take as many deep breaths as I could before we sat down.

"So, I hope you've had enough time to realize what you need. If you need more time, I'm willing to wait." He said, breaking the brief silence.

"Oh no. I've got it figured out. Honestly, I don't understand what it is, but I feel like I can trust you. I just about went crazy not talking to you. If you're willing to go slow with me, I'm willing to give us a try." I finished, taking a deep breath in.

He smiled at me, staying silent. A part of me got nervous, but then I realized he was probably just trying to figure out what to say. Calm your tits, Macy, he showed up didn't he?

"It's such a relief to hear that. I'll go as slow as you need. I know you have to worry about yourself and Madi. I know you're gonna have trust issues because of how you were treated, but I promise we'll get through it together. I was so edgy and ill these past few days. I missed hearing your voice, but now I plan to hear it a lot more." He said, squeezing my hand tighter.

I rested my head on his shoulder, soaking in the moment. The calmness was beautiful. I could've never done this with Mike, well at least not since Mitch. He was always drunk, and always angry.

"Mace, whatcha thinking about?" Colby asked, breaking the silence. I looked up at him, smiling at him.

"Just how nice this is. Thank you for staying." I replied, resting my head on him again.

I felt his lips press gently against my forehead. "Thank you for telling me how to get to the interstate." He chuckled, making me chuckle too.

After sitting in the breeze for a while, I raised my head up and stretched my arms out.

"Since we're gonna give this a try, it's time I take you to the past. Are you ready?" I asked, standing up and looking at him.

I felt the wall start to build its way back up, but I forced it back down. I had to let it go. I had to let Colby in and give him a try.

"Ride with me?" He asked, nodding his head towards his car, and smiling softly.

His smile. It could change my day in a heartbeat. I loved seeing his smile almost as much as I loved seeing Madi's.

"Sounds good." I smiled, walking toward his car.

He opened my door as I climbed in the car. He shut my door and ran over to his side, jumping in the car and starting it. We pulled out of the parking lot and headed to my old home, which was now just a bad memory. Colby seemed ready, but I wasn't sure if I was.

.........

Colby's POV.

"Welcome to Hell." She muttered, stepping out the car and walking in front of it, staring up at the house.

I joined her and laced my fingers through hers, giving her a reassuring squeeze to remind her she wasn't alone. I'm so grateful I could come with her. I wouldn't be okay with her coming by herself.