Chapter 8.

Chapter Eight.

I loved her first.

Colby's POV.

"So, I see you have an interest in my girls." Harold said, taking a seat in a large recliner.

I sat down on the couch, holding Madi close to my chest. She had drifted off to sleep and was curled into my chest, snoring softly.

"Yes sir. I'd have to say I do." I replied, looking up at him.

"Well, I'd like to know your intentions." He said, taking a chug of his beer.

"Well, I just want to take care of them. Macy has told me a good bit of her past, and all I want is to be there for her and Madi. I've gotten so attached to them over the past couple of weeks, and I honestly can't imagine my life with them not in it." I finished, taking in a deep breath.

I'll admit, I'm nervous. Her dad is a big guy, and I don't want to be on his bad side.

"Something you need to know, son, is that I loved that girl upstairs first. I had to watch her go through so much with him. No matter how much her mother and I tried to get her to leave him, she couldn't do it. She loved him so much, and all he ever did was hurt her. I will tell you this once. If you hurt her, it will be the worst decision of your life. I'm willing to give you a chance if she is, but don't make me regret that." He said, standing up and sticking his hand out again. I shifted Madi in my arms, shaking his hand firmly.

"Yes sir. Thank you." I smiled up at him, pulling Madi back into my chest.

She started wiggling and softly moaning. Soon, that moan turned into a sob.

"I think she may be hungry. She does that when she is. Let's head on back upstairs. The girls should be almost done." Harold said, walking towards the stairs and motioning me to follow him. We walked up the stairs and into the kitchen, where my eyes met Macy's.

........

Macy's POV.

"Moma, you don't think Dad will scare him too bad, do ya?" I asked, making up the buffalo chicken salad.

They'd been downstairs for a few minutes, and I was starting to get a tad worried. I mean, Colby had stayed this long, I doubt he would run now.

"Nah, sweetie, I think your dad is just getting to know him better." She smiled, patting me softly on the back.

A few moments later, I heard footsteps coming up the stairs. Colby and my dad, along with Madi, walked into the kitchen. Madi was sobbing softly, which meant she was hungry. I walked in front of Colby, placing my hands on my hips.

"Why'd you make her cry, Colby?" I asked, trying to keep a straight face when all the color rushed out of his.

"I...I...didn't do anything. She just woke up and started doing this..I..I'm sorry..." He stuttered. I stood on my tippy toes and lightly kissed his cheek.

"Calm down, darling, I was just teasing you." I giggled, taking Madi from his arms and rocking her slowly.

"Mace, it's a good thing you're a nurse. That way you can give me CPR when you give me a heart attack!" Colby said, sticking his tongue out at me.

"Perks of dating a RN." I chuckled, grabbing a bottle out of the fridge.

I took the lid off and popped the bottle in Madi's mouth, immediatly silencing her tears. Colby stood beside me and watched her as she stared up at him.

"She's so beautiful." He whispered, resting his chin on my shoulder.

I almost broke into tears. Mike never ONCE said that about his own daughter. Yet, Colby's been around for less than a month and already sees the things Mike was too drunk to see.

"She's my whole world." I whispered back, resting my head against his softly.

My mom dishes up the plates as I finished feeding Madi. I burped her and sat down with her to eat, but it didn't last long.

"Mace, can I hold her?" Colby asked, raising his eyebrows and extending his hands.

I nodded softly, smiling, and placed Madi in his arms. He took the seat next to me, rocking her softly in his arms as everyone ate.

.......

After we ate, we all just hung out in the living room, spending time together. My parents asked Colby quite a few questions, and he answered every single one with no hesitation. They both seemed to really like him, which couldn't have made me happier. The three most important people in my life accepted him, and that meant the world to me.

"I hate to be the party pooper, but I have to head home. My dog has probably destroyed my apartment by now." He chuckled lightly, standing up.

"That's fine, hun, it's been great to have you here with us." My mom smiled, wrapping him in a hug. He hugged her back tightly, and lightly pecked her cheek.

"It's been amazing to be here with you guys." He replied, smiling at her. He looked toward my dad, and a smile spread across my dad's face like I hadn't seen in a while.

"Nice to meet you, son, you're welcome anytime." Dad said, shaking Colby's hand firmly.

"Same to you, sir, thank you." Colby smiled again, backing away slowly.

I handed Madi to my mother and took Colby's hand into mine. He smiled down at me and squeezed my hand.

"I'm gonna walk Colby out, I'll be right back." I said, gently pulling him with me to the door.

We walked outside and to his car. I wrapped my arms around his midsection. His arms wrapped tightly around me as I felt his lips gently touch my forehead.

"Today has to be one of the best days of my life." He whispered, slowly rocking us back and forth.

"Same, sweetheart, it's been pretty freakin' awesome." I smiled, pulling back so I could look at his face.

Slowly, his face moved closer to mine. My heart rate increased immediatly. This time I knew what I wanted. He looked at me with a questioning look on his face. I nodded slowly, letting him know I was comfortable with continuing. The second his lips touched mine, I melted into him. Our lips moved perfectly in sync as his hand slid around to hold the back of my head. I smiled against his lips, taking in every bit of the perfection of this moment. I hadn't felt this in so many years with Mike, and I couldn't be more thankful that I'd found someone who made me feel like I had worth. He pulled away slowly, pecking my lips once more before wrapping his arms around me again.

"I'll call you when I get home, okay?" He mumbled against my shoulder, making me laugh.

"Sounds good. Drive safe darlin'." I said, slowly releasing him.

"Goodnight baby." He whispered, kissing my head softly, then stepping into his car. I watched him pull out of the driveway, waving at him until his car was out of sight.