Dammit. How did mother's do it? They always knew.

"Maybe."

She could hear her glee through the phone.

"Well, its past time I give you the family recipe. I'll send it shortly. Take care of that girl, Bey. She deserves it."

She hug up, while silently agreeing this time. Yes, she did deserve to be taken care of, for once.

~

Picking up Blue at the school on Tuesday had been the first problem they'd experienced. In the morning, Beyoncé had been pondering it when she'd interrupted her train of thought by giggling.

"What?"

"Mama's right. You look so grumpy when you scowl."

She shook her head, amused and a little pissed that was what Onika had told her about her-but mostly amused.

"I'm not grumpy. I'm just worried they might not let me take you home after school.

Hopefully they wouldn't, anyway; strangers shouldn't easily get access to little girls.

Blue returned her frown for all of three seconds before saying, " We can call Aunty Bran-she's allowed to pick me up."

That didn't ease her worry, "I haven't taken your mother's phone."

Or anything else, for that matter. She'd just grabbed her, her girl, and gotten out of the hellhole where they lived as fast as her driver's wheels could carry them. They'd returned to grab some of Blue's clothes and what she needed for a few days but she hadn't thought of Onika's phone.

"I know the number," Blue said.

"Dude, how old are you again?" She had to check.

The kid looked tiny, but acted like a teenager.

"Five. I'll be six next month."

She her head, wondering if she was standing in front of the next Einstein.

The called Aunty Bran, and she let Blue explain the situation.

"Mama was sick, so Ebenezer carried her like a princess and took us to her house, which is prettier than a castle-but there is no Christmas tree. We've been eating pizza because she can't cook and she doesn't have the authority to make me eat vegetables."

After a few minutes, she passed her the phone. The woman on the other end sounded like she crunched nuts as a hobby.

"Beyoncé Knowles," she said, making it sound like they were archenemies. "I must say, I'm impressed you didn't just walk away and let Onika rot."

Unfortunately, there was a five-year-old in the room, or she might have had a very different response. As things were, Beyoncé took a deep breath and said, "Look, I did what I could so that my employee, suffering from the flu, was taken care of, as there was no one else there," She hoped she resented the dig; if she was close to Onika, she would feel guilty about not being the one who saved the day. "Now I have a problem. Blue should go to school, but I don't think they'll let me get her at the end of the day. Could you pick her up?"

It hit her that the woman might want Onika and Blue to go with her afterwards; she prepared herself to vehemently argue against that. Onika shouldn't be moved again.

"I'm in LA," the woman replied guiltily. "But I can try to call the school and explain... I'll let you know what they say."

The school demanded that she bring identification and introduce herself when she dropped Blue off. She felt three inches tall when the severe old crone came to meet her at the gate, her eyes darting to Blue.

"Who's this woman, Ms. Maraj-Mills?"

"That's Ebenezer. Her name's really Beyoncé, but she's grumpy and there aren't any Christmas decorations in her house-not even a tree!"

She scrutinized the child, and nodded.

"Very well, Mrs. Knowles. We'll expect you by six-that's when the evening care closes."

She frowned, asking, "What time does school actually stop?"

"Three-thirty-but Blue is enrolled in the after-school program, as her mother can't pick her up beforehand."

Right. Because she was too busy taking care of her ass.

"I'm not going to work today," she informed Blue-she was too anxious to return home and check on Onika; it hadn't even been half an hour yet, but she couldn't help wondering if she'd gotten worse. "Do you want me to pick you up at three-thirty, Honey Bee?"

"Well, after-school is fun," she weighed, "but Mama will want a kiss, so okay!"

As it had gone smoothly, Beyoncé didn't think to prepare anything for the dance school two days later. Foolish of her; she was met at the door by a bulky guy who was built like a tank and unashamedly wearing tights.

"Name?" he barked, his eyes narrowed.

"Beyoncé-I'm here for Blue Maraj-Mills."

Seeing that it would require explanation, she grabbed her phone to call Aunty Bran, but she was interrupted when a miniature tornado jumped into her arms, screaming, "Mommy!"

Blue hugged her tight before turning her long lashes to the bouncer an saying, "Bye-bye, Dwayne! See you after the break."

The man was so hypnotized by the little demon, he didn't even think to question it, simply waving bye-bye.

As they walked away, Blue smiled, saying, "I forgot. Every non-parent needs a written authorisation to pick us up. Aunty Bran had to have one. So that was quicker than arguing."

Beyoncé nodded faintly, trying to make sense of the warmth spreading in her chest.

That hug had done a number on her-and she wouldn't even start analysing the whole mommy shit.

Shaking the numbness off as best she could, she managed to say, "Good call. And by the way, I have a surprise for you."

______________________

Keep or delete?

This Chapter?

I may not be able to post for a couple of days so hang in there.

Nicki?

Beyoncé?

Blue? I love blue. 

What do you think will happen next?

Vote/Comment/Follow