Jared instantly goes into a brighter facade when he sees Connor, hiding his worries and sighing. He would have to cancel their plans, and he wasn't too excited about it.

"'Sup Connor! I'm sorry but I have to cancel for today. I-"

"Nah. Don't worry about it. It's not like we're actual friends or anything," he snaps.

Jared's face fell, and his eyes widened.

"Connor... Connor no. I didn't-"

Connor scoffed, shaking his head with an eye roll.

"Save it. It's fine Jared. I just... have to face the reality that no one really cares," he mumbled, walking off.

"Connor! Connor, wait!!" Jared called after him, but he didn't stop.

Connor started telling himself he just needed to make it through the day, and then he would be able to relax, and- But what's the point? He's just going to have to wake up and to the same thing the next day, and the next day, and the day after that...

Life is really just a meaningless, endless cycle to Connor at this point. A cycle he could end whenever he wanted.

He's considered it before. Really there's not a day that he hasn't. Except that day that Jared hung out with him after school. He lied, and said that he cared. What's sad is that Connor actually believed him. He had that relieving feeling that maybe someone had his back.

He should've known.

Before he knew it, he was at his locker. He blinked in surprise, unsure of why he got there. But then he knew: if he had to do today all over again for the rest of his life, then he really doesn't want to stay alive. (Hamilton-?)

Blocking out any coherent or reasonable thought, he tugged his hair out of his bun and began to open the locker.

~~~

Jared stood there, unsure of what to do and running his hand down his face. He could go after Connor, trash his social status, and probably get bullied for the rest of high school. Or he could pretend that nothing happened, ignore the fact that Connor probably feels awful, and be the actual dickhead he was.

Jared what are you doing?! Go get the hottie emo! Jesus christ you asshole. (Lmao. The nickname popped up in my head and Jared shall refer to Connor as that from now on.)

Looks like the meme teen was going with the first option.

Jared raced in the direction Connor went, stopping at the end of the hallway his locker was at.

But then everything froze.

A pill bottle. A full pill bottle. In Connor's hand and snuck into his book bag.

The emo boi trudged off and out of the school, tears welling in his eyes and Jared watching.

"No. No no no no no," he muttered, running his hand through his hair and tapping the rim of his glasses in thought.

He could call the cops, but then Connor would really hate him. He doesn't know where he would even...

Probably not home. Although his family might know where he would-

Zoe.

Aren't the Sophomores in lunch right now?!

And with that thought, he sprinted to the cafeteria.

~~~

When he got there, he spotted the strawberry blonde after a minute and sped-walked over to her.

"Zoe!"

"...Yes?" she looked up at him.

"It's about Connor. I need to know-"

She scoffed.

"What did he do this time? Look, if you-"

"No. No it's not what he did it's what I-" he cut himself off once his voice wavered, lowering it. "He's going to kill himself, I just don't know where. I figured you might."

"Tch, really? Look. He's just seeking attention. I can assure you he won't go through with it. That's what dad says every time this happens, anyways."

Jared gaped.

"This... has happened before? Oh fuck me," he mumbled.

"I don't even know what the problem is. You shouldn't even care-"

Jared snapped. He grabbed the nearest milk carton on the table, and dumped it over her head.

"You are a terrible person. May you burn hell where you fucking belong," he scolded in anguish, rushing off and not even caring to look at her expression.

When he got to the hallways, he was instantly confronted by the last people he wanted to see.

"Going after the freak I see," Jake scoffed. "What did we talk about, Jared?"

Instantly done with everyone's bullshit, Jared pushed past him and started to walk to the exit.

"He's not a freak," he defended.

"Pfft. Looks like someone lied to us," George tsked, pinning Jared to a nearby locker.

"He needs my help and I don't have time for this!" he yelled. "Can't you guys just beat me up later??" he begged.

"Terrible," Chloe muttered, rolling her eyes at Jared.

"Such a slob," Madeline chimed in.

Jared shoved George off of him when he didn't move, Jake scoffing and punching him across the cheek. The cronch boi bit back a cry, holding his face lightly.

"Son of a bitch," he whispered.

He looked up, seeing the group smirking down at him and he backed up before booking it outside.

"Get your ass back here Kleinman!" George yelled.

"You're gonna regret this!" Chloe added.

Jared completely ignored them, jumping into his car and driving away.

"C'mon c'mon... think Jared. Where would he go???"

The park? Worth a shot.

~~~

When he got there he parked the car instantly, climbing out and racing towards the tree where they had hung out the day before. He figured that was the best place to start.

And he was right. Fortunately and unfortunately.

The sight made Jared want to scream and cry. Connor's jacket hood was over his face, head bobbing up and down groggily and empty pill bottle in hand.

Jared rushed to his side, crouching down by him.

"Connor! You fucking dumb ass," he cried. "Wake UP!"

He slapped the side of his face lightly, pulling his hood back a bit. Connor inhaled quickly, head snapping up in surprise and shaking.

"J-Jared?"

1620 words