Chapter Nine ♡

Začít od začátku

"If you ever need to be saved from the miserable gremlins–"

"Peter. Thanks for your help. Now leave." Gregg had never sounded so serious before and from his gaze, he didn't like his presence around them. A long silence reigned between them, as they both stared at each other. It was almost like there was something unsaid hanging in the air between them, something unspoken.

"Fine, I leave." Peter finally answered in exasperation and then just as he turned around, looked back at Juliette. "Lovely to meet you too, beautiful."

"I swear to god, I might just kill him one day." Yasmine shook her head as she wiped her hands on her dress then sighed and turned to Juliette. "I'm sorry you had to deal with him. He's such a doofus!"

"Whom you like," Gregg teased her as he smiled to Juliette jokingly, his face much relaxed than before.

"I do NOT!" Yassine retorted, her voice much higher than before. "I'm out of his league. Am I not Juliette?"

"Don't bring our innocent little Juliette into this." Was her friend's answer as he poked her. Feeling her unease, he mentioned for them to enter the market part of the festival.

"Well why, Gregg? I want to hear the King's speech! Did you not hear? Some are saying the guests are royals from Noirsèmèr Kingdom!"

"Meh, I doubt King Maximus will give them any importance. The last thing on his mind is to forge an alliance. As for his speech, it is probably over. Juliette what do you say? Do you want to see the traditions or buy some things in the market?"

Juliette who has been staring at the huge stage set up in the middle of the Royal Garden, couldn't help but be drawn to the enormous amount of people standing around it and the noticeably good amount of Royal people presenting the event. Was Xander there? Surely, he would be, why his job is the personal guard of the king of her kingdom!

She was looking from a slightly high balcony, allowing her to see the whole scenery and wondered where he would be standing. Her eyes searched the stage but no figure with black clothes were ever present there, only people wearing thick fabrics of vivid colors and adorned with gems and jewels. Maybe personal guards aren't meant to stand on the large circular stage, they were only considered as watchers, hunters, ready to pounce whenever someone threatened to attack. Then, all of a sudden, that huge amount of people simmered like a sea of unstable waves and made way for a man, a very tall and well-built man, who walked arrogantly and imposingly as ever.

Everyone bowed as the king stared at his people and mentioned something to them–she couldn't hear nor see clearly his face as he was very far– but she could picture how fear would be written on everyone's faces even in such a happy festival as the one she was attending. His broad muscular shoulders had a wine red cape wrapped around them, with fur sewn around the collar and his hands were covered with thick black leather gloves. His eyes were masked with the same charcoal everyone's eyes were painted with–she could clearly see that even against his slightly bronze skin and thick dark beard, and she wondered how is it possible for such a daunting man to look even more intimidating. This man clearly didn't need a personal guard, and definitely not one as strong as Xander.

His aura executed dominance, and everyone stood rigid as they listened to what he has to say. He stood strong and tall, arms balled into fists as he probably talked about something related to the safety of the kingdom and then, as he boomed his last word, the whole people raised their hands in unison and agreed with him. King Maximus seemed to be satisfied with his people's response because just as he finished his speech, musicians and jesters surrounded the stage and grabbed their flutes and luttes, beckoning the people to dance and luring them in.