Chapter Four ♡

(Please vote for a quick update! )

Chapter Four

     The way to the royal dining hall seemed never ending.

Juliette's hands were aching from the heavy tray in her hands. She headed right, then left, then right again, after that there was a very long staircase that lead out of the maids' wing according to the girl walking besides her, and then she seemed to enter a new beautiful realm decorated with tapestries and expensive looking Persian carpets. She had surmised then they had reach the main royal building. Even after reaching the royal wing, they seemed to have walked an eternity.

"Are we still far from the royal dining hall?" Juliette asked for the girl the third time, panting. The girl seemed amused at Juliette's shortness of breath and it was pretty obvious that she has gotten used to working in the palace since she didn't have a bead of sweat on her forehead. She was carrying a tray full of at least thirty ornamented plates and she didn't seem the least bothered.

"We're here now." She answered as they just stopped in front of a very large wooden door. Many shapes were carved on the gigantic entrance, but since she was standing behind the long line of maids, she couldn't decipher anything.

"What is taking you, slow imbeciles, so long?!" Scary mustache man's voice ringed right in her ear and she turned in surprise, meeting his fuming red face. Scary man's malicious eyes twinkled at her panic. An unreadable emotion flickered in his eyes and uneasiness swept through her as his smile grew wider.

"Be careful with the tartes, imprudent girl." He snatched the tray from her in one quick movement and it turned his large back to her. She looked at her companion questionably and she shrugged blatantly.

"We don't wanna ruin the King's breakfast now, do we?" His voice was muffled and his back was still to her. She stood there awkwardly not knowing whether to leave or stay.

"There I fixed their place. The king loves his tartes." He turned and winked at her, his smile showing yellow teeth and all. She was appalled at his fast change of mood.

"Now, good that I found you. The maid served the tartes to the guests the other day. Or was it you?" She shook her head in fear. "Very good." He answered handing back the tray to her and pressing harder into her hands so they stay still.

"You place this facing the King's seat– which is the top one at the front. Understood?" She immediately nodded. Satisfied, he went back to scolding the girl in front of her. After a while, she sighed in relief as she realized she was not the only person who's getting yelled at.

"So, you're Mabel's niece?" The girl attempted to break the tension. Just as she opened her mouth to reply, however, a loud bang was heard followed by two men yelling at each other. Juliette's anxiety increased as another loud crash was heard.

"Oh shoot, King Maximus' fighting with someone again." The girl said, unfazed. Juliette looked at her queasily as she tried to control her hand shaking.

"IIIII don't think it will go well." She continued, shrugging her shoulders. Juliette's took two steps back and she shook her head. Realizing Juliette's distress, she placed her free hand on her shoulder.

"Relax, girl. He doesn't pay attention to us. Just try not to do anything stupid." She said as the evil man from before came to the front of the line and spoke to the guard in front of the door in a hushed manner. The girl glanced back at her companion and saw her lack of experience from the way the tray shook in her hands.

"Oh, and don't look at King Maximus or anyone inside really, it's disrespectful and it will get you in trouble. Just put the tray and stand with the rest of the line till we leave." She added as the line started moving forward. Juliette swallowed and braved herself for the worse.

The muffled noises got clearer as she approached the room.

"I WILL NOT TOLERATE THIS ANY LONGER. I'VE HAD ENOUGH." A man thundered. His voice was deep and had a slight roughness to it.

"My dearest king," The scary looking man cut him off at the door. The noise of boots scrunching up on carpets was heard and a shadow loomed over scary man's round figure.

"What is it you want, Remond?" His voice has a slight edge to it and it looked more like a threat than a question. A shiver ran down her spine.

"Your majesty, the maids have come to serve small appetizers as the feast is being served in a bit."

"I believe I requested the feast at noon, Remond." He replied blankly. Scary man seemed like nice man next to the king.

"Yes, of course, but your majesty, the guests—"

"Are getting rest in their assigned chambers. Surely, their long trip to here was tiring. When their needs are sorted, the feast shall take place–which will be at noon." Scary man seemed at a loss of words.

"But my king, allow me to serve some light appetizers in case they like to make a tour of the castle." He suggested. She wondered why scary man was so insisting on entering the dining hall. She wanted to flee as far as she can from the frightening king. Silence reigned for a few minutes until King Maximus finally approved of his request.

~•~•~

Juliette's curiosity to know the King's appearance vanished as she entered the royal dining hall.

The dining hall was another palace of its own.

Large tall windows surrounded the room from the left and right and large oil paintings placed in golden frames ornamented the wall in the very far front of the room. A very large chandelier that was probably made from real diamonds extended from the wall, and paintings of angels decorated the domed ceiling. A very tall and thin dining table rested in the room. Underneath it, lay all kinds of Persian carpets, its colors complimenting the golden hue of the fairytale-like room.

Juliette almost tripped as the girl from earlier nudged her and whispered to her to act normal before she spills the contents of the tray. Awoken from her trance, she quickly regained her posture and followed her towards the end of the table.

The King's companions'–including scary man– immediately ushered to the dining table on the maids' entrance, while he remained in deep thought, facing a tall window, while his hands rested behind his back, leaving his chair empty at the top of the dining table.

Despite passing near him, she had not the audacity to sneak a glance at him. All she was able to see was his very tall and broad silhouette and the very fine fabric of his clothing. Her heart beat harder in her body-not of excitement but of fear- for she was passing the man that threatened his own kingdom and people by killing his own father. That very thought surged an immediate panic in her mind and she didn't notice the carpet in front of her.

She stumbled with the carpet, and the tray's contents spilled in front of her and she lost control of her body.

Hearing the sound of metal clinking with the floor, King Maximus immediately turned to the source of the noise by reflex, and found himself  wrapping his arm around a maid's waist, saving her from a painful fall.

"YOU FOOL!" was all she heard before crashing into a very hard chest.

And so the games begin.
Hellooo my loves,
I hope you have enjoyed the chapter
Please vote if you want me to update faster! It motivates me so much!
What do you think will happen now with Juliette?
How will the new king react?
Do you love how the story's going so far?
Please comment and let me know! I get so happy when I read your comments!
Also, If I get a good amount of votes I'll update really fast!
I hope you have a lovely day
–theladyandthefox