Chapter One ♡

Chapter One

       Prince Maximus prowled through the great hall as everyone made way for him in terror, his footsteps the only noise echoing inside the gigantic room. Any traces of music have vanished, the whole world watched the tall man making his way towards the golden throne and listened to the soft swish of his fur-sewn cape across the floor. He was a man of power— a man of wealth and status; that much was obvious as he walked gracefully and searched the eyes of his people as if almost daring them to challenge him.

"The king," He declared, his back facing his people, "is dead." Everyone gasped as he suddenly turned, his cold charcoal black eyes staring blankly at the horrified audience. His imposing posture domineered the room and the long scar that ran across his left eye intensified his intimidating stare.

He gazed for long at his people and then at last, he sat on the throne, resting both of his arms on the machete.

"I shall reign from now on." His advisor approached him.

"But your majesty, you cannot declare yourself King until you find a brid—"

"No." The prince thundered. "Not until I revenge for the King and have the heart of his killer as my dinner. And then, I will find a queen. Now, abide." And with a snap of his fingers—long pale fingers adorned with silver rings and jewels—his advisor came and placed the infamous crown on his head. 

"I am the new king." Everyone exchanged questioning glances and whispers exploded inside the Royal hall as the new announcement took place. Their king—their beloved and cherished king of Volkeii— is deceased. Shock turned into fear and whispers into yells as they stared at the young man—aged no more than seven and twenty—whose face was hidden by his dark long hair as he looked down. His hand was clenched around the grip of his throne, but unbeknownst to them, he was listening to their complains silently. Like a predator, he always knew when to strike. Like a prey, they thought, it is only too late when they decide when to run.

He was for them a boy— a mere boy— who possesses no heart, no humanity but gold and land. To them, he was a murderer; a merciless killer who attempted so many times to poison the mind of his father only to be met with failure until he had no choice but to dispose of him. A son of a mistress, a boy kept in the dark and brought out only because his father –their oh-so beloved king of Volkeii—had no choice but to. The only son of King of Volkeii, Prince Maximus was destined to be a ruler. For people of Volkeii, however, he was nothing but a cold-blooded murderer.

It was so sure of him being the killer, that they needn't question their notion. It was decided. 

Prince Maximus scoffed at his people's ridiculous reaction. Despicable as they are, he was forced to control his temper around their presence. After all, they were his people as he had just declared himself king. He was not by any means going to allow an uproar on his first day of ruling the kingdom. He was well aware how everyone would accuse him for the murder of his father, hence why dwelling on the subject was of no use. He was not loved, he was not liked. Of that, he was sure. He announced the unanticipated news when his audience had calmed down and then watched their outburst calmly yet again.

"I now demand silence." His booming voice reverberated in the great hall of his castle as he fixed his gaze on his people.

"Until the funeral happens which will not take place but after two days, I believe, I shall hear some of your petitions. Time shall not be wasted in Volkeii. As for the killer of my father, his head will be executed by my own sword when found."