Chapter 8

"HE ALMOST KISSED YOU?!" Madeline yelled.

We were in my room. She hunted me down and found me after I didn't show up to the Woman's Room.

I shrugged.

"AND YOU REJECTED!?" She yelled again.

I took a bite of my lunch roll. We decided to eat lunch upstairs together.

"It didn't feel ...right." I said twirling the fork in my salad. I took a big unlady like bite.

"Brooke! He really likes you!" You would've been his first kiss! And he would be yours!" She said swooning.

I froze.

"Are you ok?" Madeline asked, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I shook off my dreadful feeling.

"Yeah. But I doubt I would be his first. I mean he probably had a million girlfriends before the Selection." I said as I looked at the beautiful landscape from my balcony.

"Why would he? When he knew he was practically in an arranged marriage." Madeline pointed out, she took a small bite of her salad.

I sighed. Madeline always had a point.

"Promise me something." Madeline said as she wiped her fingers on her napkin. I was always shocked of how much manners she really had. She was a 4, so she had higher education but still. I probably already smeared the vinaigrette on my red day dress.

I raised my eyebrow. "Depends."

She looked me seriously in the eye. "If Jackson asks you on a date or is a helpless romantic, you accept. You might actually grow to like him. You never know what the future holds." She said with a smile.

I sighed and stared at my almost finished meal. I don't want to be with Jackson. I don't even want to try, and he is very aware of it. I don't understand why he hasn't sent me home yet. Everybody else wants him to touch their hair, lean in, taste his winter green breath, look into his eyes..... I snapped myself out of it.

"Please?" She asked, pleading with her eyes.

I sighed. What's the worst that can happen?

"Fine." I muttered.

Madeline squealed and I threw my roll at her. She threw her roll back and then we enjoyed our early afternoon having a food fight.

I was going to have to help my maids clean the balcony later.

£££££££££££

"Oh wow! You out done yourselves!" I said gaping over my dinner dress in the mirror.

It was a sky blue gown and had no sleeves. The bodice was covered in peacock fabric peaces and gradually stopped.

My high heels matched my dress perfectly. They had the same color and peacock feathers.

They put on a blue amulet and blue rose earings. My makeup was done natural. I prefer natural now as my go to look. I had a little gold eye shadow with a tad of eye liner and mascara. I had blushed pink cheeks and and pink lip stick.

My hair was let down and curled but my front peices were fish braided and pulled and clipped to the back to my hair.

"Thank you, Brooke." Amber said as she adjusted the necklace so it could be more even.

Melody smoothed down my dress as she hummed lovely song.

"Okay," Veronica said as she made sure every hair was perfectly in place. "Your ready!"