•Water Proof Mascara• (chapter 2)

***
2 pm next day- Holly's POV
***

"You sure you don't like this doll? It'll watch you sleep at night"

I shriek and cling to JJ as Simon chases after me with a creepy ass elf looking doll with weird blue eyes and an ugly nose.
JJ laughs and puts an arm around me, shielding Simon from me.

"Fam, get that pedophilic doll away from her before I smack you one"

Simon shrugs and turns the doll around to face himself. He shrugs and smiles.

"Imma get it for myself then"

He laughs when he sees my face. Pure and utter disgust.

"Come on," JJ says, leading me into the girls clothes section. "Let's get you some outfits so we can get the hell out of here"

***

JJ ends up buying me a ton of clothes and waves off the prices like it's nothing. I know he's a millionaire but I still feel guilty for spending his money.
I thank him over and over again. He just smiles and says I'm welcome.

Simon did end up buying the creepy doll and then had the audacity to ask me where he should put it.

"I think my room would be suitable but he might get bored just staring at my wall the whole time," Simon says, grinning at me. "I should put him in the living room, you know? So he can get to know us? Or your room, Holly!"

"Absolutely not!" I screech. "You bring that thing anywhere near me and I'll throw it out!"

"You'll do no such thing!" Simon gasps. "Your evil! You want this poor thing to be abandoned? Orphaned and uncared for? Do you want it to cry itself to sleep?"

My smile stops abruptly as I process what he just said. It really is the harsh reality relating to orphans but it hurts me in a different way. Simon's face falls too and JJ eyes me in the reviewer mirror.
No one says anything for the rest of the drive home. I just concentrate on biting my thumbnail, trying not to cry.

***

When we do get home, Simon helps me bring my clothes up to my room.

"Thanks," I say quietly and hopefully dismissively.

He thankfully gets the message and gives me a small hug before leaving. As soon as the door shuts, I fall onto my bed and curl up into a crying small ball. When I'm sad I isolate myself. I've been on my own ever since I was ten and it has helped me isolate people when I need to.
I don't know why but what Simon said about orphans just really rubbed me the wrong way.
Maybe because I did feel uncared for. Maybe because I did use to cry myself to sleep. Or maybe because it was so truthful it really hurt my feelings, that I was abandoned.
Why would anyone want me anyway?
Why would JJ even want me?
I start crying. I can't control it. A familiar ache settles inside my chest and it won't move.

Knock knock

I quickly wipe the back of my hands under my eyes and pray that my mascara stayed true to its name and remained waterproof.

"C-come in" I call shakily.

The door opens and JJ pokes his head around it. He offers a small smile before asking if he can come in.

"Yeah," I reply.

He walks in and shuts the door behind him. He then proceeds to sit down next to me on the bed and hug me straight away.
My arms come back around him and he holds me. It feels nice.

"Are you okay?" He asks softly, smoothing my hair back.

I nod and sniffle, shaking my head.

"I'm sorry. I'm just so pathetic," I sigh. "It just triggered something inside me"