The Dream

We returned to the house from before. It was far enough from the Tiber to be spared from the "earthquake", as the mortals called it. It had been half a day, and we sat on the couch waiting for Leo. We had told him our general location, and he said he would land Festus somewhere safe, then come to get us.

I could see the water damage on the walls and carpet, from when Percy had flooded dracaenae out of the house. We had made a quick stop to a clothing store, and were both changed and showered. We moved the furniture back in place and finally rested. It only took a few minutes for Calliope to fall asleep, and we set her on the couch.

Percy and I now sat at a small kitchen table. It was made from dark wood, but the bottom looked weathered from the flood. I was surprised it hadn't been knocked over. Leo should be here in a few hours, so we had some time to relax. Finally.

"I'm sorry." Percy said. He was wearing a new orange shirt and jeans. We didn't have money for shoes, and we had taken them off. They were sitting on the front porch, drying.

I tilted my head. "For what? We already discussed that destruction is not all your fault." I reached my hand across the table to hold his, and he reached out, too. I examined our arms. We were both covered in cuts and bruises, but Percy was better. Between the water in the cavern, and taking a shower, he had healed a lot. I had not, and the little ambrosia and nectar we bought had, had sunk with the plane.

"I know. I'm sorry about our honeymoon. It's completely ruined. And I'm sorry about Chiron..." Percy looked down. I frowned, and reached out my other hand. I held his hand in mine, and looked him in the eye. I blinked away tears.

"Hey, don't apologize. We got through it, and we will feel better over time." I said, and he nodded. He pulled back his hand and took a bite of his sandwich. We had also stopped at a restaurant, since we hadn't eaten in days. I was still a little on edge, and worried we would get attacked again. I doubted the gorgons would come for us again though. Stheno and Euryale would probably reform first, and we had beaten them multiple times before. It wouldn't be smart to come at us again.

We continued to eat in silence. I wondered how long it would take for Rome to be fixed. It would take weeks to go through the rubble and recover the bodies, and even longer to rebuild. There would be many funerals in the coming weeks, and one of them would take place at camp. I wondered how everyone would react to Chiron's death. The day after for Percy and I had been spent crying, and mourning. It felt like a part of me was missing, like it had been stolen. I desperately wanted to go find it, and fill the hole, but I knew I couldn't. Chiron was gone, and would never come back.

I finished eating my sandwich and chips, and stood up. "I'm going to go lay down." I announced, as I turned to walk to the living room. I looked at Calliope, peacefully sleeping on the couch. Her curly black hair covered her face, and she was cured up in a little ball. Poor girl. She had lost so much, and we still didn't know what we would do with her. She couldn't enter camp, and we didn't want to just drop her off at an orphanage.

I sat down on the other side of the couch, and closed my eyes. When I woke up, it should be time to leave. Unfortunately, I dreamed.

I was standing outside of my cabin, back at camp. The sun shone bright in the middle of the sky, and grass swayed in the wind. Everything appeared normal. I was wearing a camp t-shirt, and others walked around me. I started to walk through the camp, to find Percy.

People waved to me, and said hi. I responded, and we would talk for a few minutes. Everything was so bright and happy. But, as I neared the cabin of Zeus, the sky turned dark.

Clouds covered the sky, and a shadow fell over the camp. Thunder rumbled, and rain poured. Campers ran to their cabins, and covered their heads, but I stayed where I was, staring at a strange girl.