26. Property Of a Millionaire

Start bij het begin

"Котенок (Kitten)?"

"Open the door." Both Jacob and Max were at the door but I didn't let any of them in. I sulked down on the floor and let my head fall into my arms. 11 more hours of pure torture. God, I'm sorry for whatever it is that I did...

—-

"Miles seriously, I can't have any more ice cream. I've gained like 5 (lbs) pounds in the last 35 minutes of my lunchtime!" Alana complained. Ugh, why is she such a girl? Why am I judging her for being a female? I don't know! I'm just angry.

"Stay and eat more with me!" I whined and grabbed her arm, pulling her back down to the couch.

"Miles I have to go to work! You should be there with me. You've already taken a week off, get your fat ass up off the couch and go do something." What a bitch.

"Did you just call me fat? What kind of friend are you?" My hand rested on my stomach that did look plump... maybe the ice cream was too much?

"Babe you know I'm kidding. If we're comparing, look at you compared to me." Who was she kidding? She had curves to die for and a PHAT ass!

"Don't seriously compare! Jesus Miles, at least go see Pom. She misses you." She was right. The last time I went was right after we landed in Indianapolis a little more than a week ago. Melanie, Zack, and Alana were there for me the entire time and I'm so grateful for friends like them. Suddenly, amongst our little fight, the doorbell rings.

"Can you get that? I don't want to get up!" I complained.

"Ugh, of course, you don't. After this, I'm leaving for real." Yeah sure, that's what she said 20 minutes ago.

"Oh Mr. Ivanov, hi?" What did she say? Fuckity fuck no.

"Miles is here I assume. May I come in?" His voice sounded so comforting. I missed him. Shut up, no you don't!

"Yeah, come in. Miles, someone's here to see you." She said in a singsongy voice. I could remember the first time I met her, she wasn't this bitchy.

"No! I'm, um, I'm naked."

"As if he hasn't seen that before!" Why did I ever allow her to be my friend?

"It's quite alright, thank you, Alana. Will I be seeing you back at work?" He asked her. I was hiding behind the plant on my coffee table. It was tall and wide enough for me to hide behind.

"Yeah, I'll be leaving. See you later Mr. Ivanov and text me, babe!" I heard the door close and as much as I wanted it to be Max leaving, I was so incorrect.

"Miles, please come out of hiding. I can see you baby." Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

"It's been over a week. I miss you. Everything about you, your smile, your eyes, your hugs and kisses, your care and compassion. Your attitude, ignorance, and teasing witty have changed me. Miles, I care about you. I'm sorry." Those were some of the words I longed to hear.

"I'm sorry for lying to you. I was waiting for the right time to tell you. There's no way to come out and say what I wanted to say. I don't want to lose you and I'm afraid I already did. Feels like I lost you a whole week ago. A whole fucking week. I'm sorry. See what you did to me?" I laughed. I mean the plant laughed.

"I see you, baby. P-Please say something M-Miles." His voice was breaking but I smelt something. Something delicious.

"You have food?" I asked him. He wiped his face, cleared his throat, and chuckled. Finally, I left my little hiding spot and appeared in front of my boss.

"Only you. Yeah, I picked up something from your dad. He was kinda pissed at me but I had to apologize to Pom to get her respect back." I giggled thinking of Max bending down and saying 'sorry' to my dog. Only my dad would do something like that.

I twiddled with my thumbs, missing the feel of the ring he got me for my pinky. "That's um, thankful of you. You want to stay and eat it with me or take it to go?"

"I'd love to stay if you'll have me." I want all of you... I realized that I wasn't wearing a shirt and waltzed towards my bedroom.

"It's fine, you don't need a shirt Котенок (Kitten)." He knew me so well.

"I look fat, I'll just throw something on-," I got cut off by a grumble.

"Don't talk about yourself like that.  I love the way you look, and so should you. You're nowhere near fat, except your ass." Jesus, why did he have to say that? It made it harder to be mad at him. My face turned beet red and I just covered my chest and walked back to the couch. He had separated and plated the food across the coffee table.

"Chicken Parmesan and sweetened salad? You made this?" It's my favorite dish and the dish my father made when I had first met Max. I had to go pick up the sugar from the supermarket where I fell into his arms.

"Yes, with help from your dad. He said it was your favorite." I nodded, I pushed my hair from in front of my face until he lifted his hand and did it for me. He tucked the curl behind my ear and held my cheek for a moment.

"Beautiful."

My breath hitched as his warm hand laid across my cheek. "M-Max."

"I'm sorry, let's uh, let's eat." Lunch was silent and I think I enjoyed that. I had gotten us some wine from the kitchen and I drank most of it.

"We're not like those defined Mobs." He started.

"What do you mean?" I placed my empty plate down and crossed my legs on the couch, facing Max. He was sipping on the wine in the glass as he cleared his throat. This was going to be a long story.

"We don't sell drugs, people, or anything, um, illegal. We own businesses in Russia, only recently in America, and an Exporting Systems to help the economy."

He ran his hand through his jet-black hair. "Ivanov is just a last name for the people in my family who will be leading the household and the other families that are aligned with us. My grandfather chose my father and my father chose me. Not that they have anything with women ruling but Anna chooses not to, especially since she wanted to get married and even decided that she would change her last name. As for me, I was hoping the person I would marry one day would be willing to take my last name. But that's a conversation for another time." I was slowly taking everything in. I didn't want to miss a single detail.

"As for Malcolm Chalamet, he's the son of the deceased Don of the Chalamet house. So he's the head of that mob that we've been rivals for centuries. We've tried the treaty thing, but after a group of cowardly men that are trying to uprise against us, they started an alliance with those traitors and the war started once again. I never wanted to involve you in this until I felt like I was ready and so were you. I know it's a lot and I'm sorry to press this all on you but it's only right, plus Anna threatened to chop my balls off if I didn't. She was pretty upset that you were mad at her." I bit down on my bottom lip, I did feel bad. I let my childish behavior get the best of me.

"That's a lot. Thank you for telling me and letting me in on all of this. I just need time to comprehend all of this, it's a l-lot. I'm sorry for my childish behavior when I found out. You probably hate me now." His thumb slid along my chin before making me look up at him. His hands made me feel so good again.

"I could never hate you Котенок (Kitten). Take all the time you need. I'll see you back in the office next week?" He sounded so hopeful.

"Oh, I almost forgot to give you this." He went into his pocket and reached for something. He pulled out the ring that he gifted me while we were in Russia, my heart started to beat rapidly once again when he took my hand and slid the ring onto my left pinky finger and kissed it before letting my hand go.

"Yeah, next week. Thank you, Maximillion Ivanov." The smile on my face reflected on his own.

"No, thank you, Miles Stevenson."

We stared at each other for what felt like hours but was only a matter of seconds. There was something I wanted to say without coming off too hasty.

"I like the sound of Miles Ivanov." The shakiness of his breath made my heart beat fast. The hand he has on my cheek suddenly had my tear on it. I hadn't even notice from my teary eyes, that his eyes were a bit clouded as well. Mmh, maybe one day it'll be on my left ring finger...

—-