Eleven

Summer,

Thank you so much for an amazing evening. I'm sorry I had to leave so soon. Personally I think you should have won the cook off, but I'm happy you didn't. ;)

-Broc

Summer:

What. The. Fuck.

This is the letter he leaves me? I guess I shouldn't expect more right? We're just friends. Friends who got a little tipsy and had a little fun. Well more than just fun. I thought we had a real connection.

When I woke up to an empty bed I had hoped that I'd hear some movement in the kitchen. Instead I find this letter.

I lay back down, closing my eyes, thinking about his smile, his laugh, the way he looked when his eyes went dark. Doesn't look like I was enough to stay the night with. Sighing I try to put him off my mind as I make my way to the kitchen to make some food. Sean was already out there, making breakfast for us.

"Good morning sunshine!" He says as he wiggles his eyebrows at me. "Where's Broc?"

I shrug. "I don't know, he left in the middle of the night I guess." I tried to act like it was no big deal, but Sean knows me better.

"Interesting." Was all he said as he continued making the eggs and pulling the bacon out of the oven. After he makes up some plates, I grab mine and take it to my room. I didn't need to have a conversation about it this morning.

While sitting in my bed eating, I look over at my phone and realize I had several missed alerts from last night. Mostly work stuff, It tends to happen at the end of a big project. A couple from Devin. Sweet Devin.

You know what? I'm going to call Devin today. If Broc really wants a certain kind of relationship that I can't give him, then I should move on right? What's the point of me trying when he obviously doesn't want what I want. Right?

God this man was confusing. He seemed so caring the whole night. Maybe that's how he treats all of his lady partners.

I spent the next hour dealing with work stuff and watching my phone half hoping it would be Broc then chastising myself for feeling that way.

Soon Sean and Brittany come in to say goodbye. Sean gives me a tight hug and leaves me alone with Brittany as I let loose all my mixed emotions. Our conversation ends on a good note as she reminded me about Devin. I get up to walk them out the door when I notice my brother's car is in the driveway. Saying goodbye to my friends, I head upstairs to talk to my brother. I didn't say anything to Broc at the time, but I knew exactly what my brother was doing. I figured it out the first time he went behind my back and did it. I played dumb for a little while until I found out about another deal. I confronted him and he made a big speech about protecting me. We decided he would keep me in the dark, although I always saw the signs when he was making more deals, moving money around, late night calls at the office, and extended trips. When I got to the landing, he was sitting in the loft, on his chair staring at the ceiling. This is his deep thought position. I normally try to leave him be, but not today. I needed answers. NOW.

"Mike." I say as I stand next to his chair crossing my arms over my chest. He huffs, but doesn't take his eyes off the ceiling.

"Yes, sister?" You can tell by the way he says this, he's completely annoyed with my intrusion. Good.

"Broc told me about his family business, I now understand how you guys know each other. I played dumb last night because I wanted to honor our agreement, but..." My voice trails off in thought. I was remembering something he said... "Know this Summer, you deserve someone way better than I."

My brother twists to look up at me as I start tapping my chin. I knew exactly what his tattoo stood for because there's still a lot he doesn't know about me. He doesn't know that my father was a part of his gang when my brother and I were young. I remember when he got a similar tattoo on his chest. My brother has one too. My mother spent many late nights cleaning my father's weapons as he ate his homecooked meal, tired, exhausted, sometimes bloody. They always sent me to my room, but I would sneak out on the landing, mesmerized by all the puzzle pieces of the guns my mother would clean.

Once Mike fulfilled his obligation to the gang he left, mostly. It was never easy on my family after my father was killed. My brother stepped up to bring in the extra cash we needed to get by. My father and Brother really laid into me about always playing dumb, and staying away from the gang members. I always did. I got really good at playing the innocent little Summer until my father died. I grew tired of sitting around doing nothing, so my brother taught me how to protect myself, would send me on small jobs. Nothing that brought in the big money, but I loved being useful. These jobs were usually about trailing someone, taking notes on a target, doing research. I was always good at that stuff. That lasted about 6 months until I got my advanced placement scores back from school. I ended up on the fast track to college and my brother refused to let my side jobs get in the way. I haven't been involved in that lifestyle for a long time, but I don't mind it. You do what you need to do to survive, just like everyone else.

He sighs, "Listen." His voice startling me from my thoughts. "Mom and I didn't save every penny we had for you to do the exact thing we were trying to save you from."

I looked at his sad eyes, I know he's just trying to protect me. "Brother, it's my decision to do what I want with my life." He rolls his eyes, going back to his staring.

"You know..." I say as I pace up and down the loft. "It doesn't really matter anyway. I don't think he wants the same thing I want anyway, but, you know, thanks for ruining the mood of my night!"

I stomp down the stairs listening to his sighs of disappointment on the way down. I flop down on my bed and check my phone again.

Devin:

Good morning Lovely. I happen to have the day off today. I have some errands to run, but they would be more fun if you could join me. :)

I smile at the text. Thinking about how to respond, I realize I never responded to Broc about the letter. I guess I should say something right?

Me:

It's unfortante you had to leave. I hope I didn't make you uncomfortable with how cuddly I was being. The lap dance was a lot of fun :) I also agree, I totally should have won. Anyway, see you around!

I frown as I reread my text to Broc. I wasn't planning on continuing anything with anyone who wasn't on the same page as me. I took a deep breath, pressed send, and responded to Devin.

Devin:

Good morning Lovely. I happen to have the day off today. I have some errands to run, but they would be more fun if you could join me. :)

Me:

Good morning! That sounds like a great idea to me. :) Let me know a time.

Looking at the time I see it's already 11am. I quickly hop In the shower to get ready. Shower time was torture because I was still so needy from last night. My mind couldn't stay off Broc for long.

 My mind couldn't stay off Broc for long