Chapter Two

Hey this chapter kind of has a little bit of homophobia in a flashback, so if you think that could be triggering or something, then just skip the italics. Enjoy! :3

 Troye’s pov:

 I walked into my math class, taught by a teacher called Mrs. Grim. Surprisingly, she was a pretty nice and easygoing teacher, though her name said differently. I sat down at my seat (she wasn’t that easygoing of a teacher, I mean we had assigned seats) and pulled out my multitude of supplies for this one class. Just as class was about to begin, and I couldn’t believe my luck of having a table all to myself, Joshua Picket walked in.

My eyes followed Joshua’s every step, leading right to my empty table. Joshua Picket, otherwise known as the complete dick who bullied me in middle school, was assigned to sit next to me. He fell down into his seat, glaring at me thoroughly, and slouched down below eye level. I resisted the urge to whimper as memories of middle school came rushing into the front of my mind.

I got off the bus, hands shoved deep into my pockets, and quickly walked towards my street. This year our bus stop was combined with another one; so there were more kids that I disliked and I had to walk further to get home.

Repeated spikes of pain haunted my back as I walked, most likely pebbles. Joshua had taking a liking to throwing things at me, seeing just how much it would take to make me explode. I took a deep breath and picked up my pace, practically jogging now.

“Troye!” Joshua shouted from behind me. “Hey Troye!” I slowed down my pace slightly to respond.

“What?” I said exasperatedly. It was a wrong move to slow down. Joshua sped up and yanked my wrist, turning me to look at him.

“I think that you like boys.” He accused. He spoke it with a smirk, like he could unravel me just by speaking this information. Which he probably could.

“What? No! I-“ Joshua cut me off before I could finish, which was lucky, as I didn’t know what I was going to say.

“I’ve heard my parents talking about it. If you like boys then you’re gay!” He spat out the word, like he couldn’t get it out of his mouth quick enough. He glared as the word trespassed against his lips, crinkling his nose like it tasted foul. I could imagine him grinding his heel against the pavement, crushing the sick word into dust, and me with it.

“I don’t like boys!” I lied. “I- I like girls! And… And boobs! I like girls and boobs!” The lies sounded false coming out of my mouth, ringing against the air with a sour note. Joshua smirked, he could see right through my fake words.

"You’re gross,” He said, “I don’t want to be near you. I don’t want you to get a crush on me.” I was offended. What stupid creature could possibly like this jerk?

“I don’t have a crush on you and I never will!” I shouted. “You’re mean and gross and I wouldn’t like you if you were the last person on earth!” With that I turned and ran. As I sprinted closer to my street I felt a shower of pebbles rain over me, getting lost in my hair and bouncing off my back.

 Tears slipped down my cheeks as I ran into my house, the door slamming behind me. I ran upstairs and into my room, grabbing the house phone and punching in Tyler’s number as fast as I could.

I didn’t like the way the lies had felt coming out of my mouth. I felt like I had to tell someone, tell Tyler.

“Hello?” It was Jackie, Tyler’s mom. She was nice and cooked good food, but she wasn’t the one I wanted to talk to.

“Can I talk to Til- Tyler?” I sniffled. “It’s Troye,” Jackie immediately agreed, going to find Tyler.

“Troye?” Tyler’s familiar voice filled the phone, and I already felt better.

“Ty I have to tell you something….” I said. Wait? Why was I doing this? I wasn’t ready for this! I wasn’t even sure! Was I?

 “Okay…”

 “Um… I think I like boys…” I said. “I mean I’m gay.” I was sure Tyler would be fine with it. I was ninety percent sure that Tyler was gay too. He’d never said anything, but I just got a feeling.

“Oh me too.” Tyler responded, and I let out a sigh of relief that faded into laughter. Okay, I was one hundred percent sure. A smile quickly found a home on my face. I hadn’t ever told anyone this before. Until now, I wasn’t even sure myself. But here I was, a new man. A gay man! Although technically, I was still gay before I came out.

“I’m proud of you,” Tyler said, and I grinned.

“Thanks.”

I tumbled out of my memories quite forcefully as Joshua roughly punched me in the leg.

“Ow!” I said, turning to glare at him. He rolled his eyes.

“Troye?” Mrs. Grim asked, and from the way she said it, it hadn’t been the first time.

“Sorry, what?” I said.

“It’s your turn to introduce yourself to the class,” I bit back a scoff. I’d been going to school with these people for twelve years now, and we were still playing introductory games?

“I’m Troye” I said. This time Mrs. Grim rolled her eyes.

“And your favorite animal?” She questioned.

“Um… A lemur?” I just said the first thing that had come to mind, which was apparently a lemur.

“Okay then,” She said, turning to her next victim. It was really quite rude of her to judge my favorite animal. Not nice at all.

The rest of the class trudged on, filled with stupid introductory shit and other dumb games. My next class was English, which went much the same way. This teacher also had assigned seats, which I wasn’t too annoyed about since I didn’t have any close friends in that block. Afterwards was lunch, which I would normally have been excited about but because I didn’t know if I had it with any of my friends, I was extremely nervous.

As I arrived in the cafeteria, I sighed in relief to see that Zoe, Alfie, and Phil were there. I made my way over to them and sat down next to Alfie and across from Zoe.

“Troye!” Zoe squealed, excited to see me for the second time. At the noise, Phil raised his head off of the table to look at me, smiling weakly.

“What’s wrong?” I asked him, and he blushed slightly.

“I, uh, tried to kiss someone and they rejected me.” Phil mumbled quietly, trailing off into nothingness. Zoe and Alfie exchanged a confused look.

“Who?” I pried, but Phil just shook his head, putting it back down into his arms, which were splayed across the table. I looked at Zoe for help but she shrugged, just as confused as I was.

Lunch happened with little talk, none of us knowing what to do about Phil. When the bell rang dismissing us to class, Phil was the first to go, looking dejected but happy to get out of there.

“I wondered who he tried to kiss?” Zoe questioned, as we walked out of the cafeteria.

“I don’t know, but I hope she wasn’t too mean to him,” Alfie said. I stayed silent as we walked, wondering who this mystery person was.

AN:

 Thank you to everyone who’s commented and voted! (do more of that please and thank you) It means so much to me and I really appreciate it. Also tell me if you think I could improve anything:

More dialogue?

Less dialogue?

More description?

Less description?

Longer chapters?

Shorter chapters?

Thanks again!