Prologue

Tyler’s pov:

It all started when I was in second grade. I sat down at my desk during class, concentrating hard on making my handwriting neat, and spacing my letters correctly. I wanted this to be perfect. I tucked the small card into an envelope, and got out a black pen to write the name on it. It didn’t occur to me how weird the class would find it that I had written my valentine card to a boy. After all, all the other little boys in the class were writing cards to other little girls.

I picked up my card, delicately written, with another little boy’s name printed clearly on the front. All the kids were running around the room energetically, all except one other boy, whom I walked over to. I sat down in front of him, clenching my card tightly in my fist. He didn’t look up, seemingly too lost in thought to notice my appearance. In front of him sat an open card with ‘To:’ written, but nothing else. Lying next to it was an open marker, the cap set off to the side.

I cleared my throat quietly, so quiet that I didn’t think he would hear. Except he did. His hand jerked out from under his face, his cheeks reddening slightly in a small blush. I smiled at him, thrusting my card out under his nose. He looked taken aback.

I wiggled my card in front of his face, and he finally got the hint, taking it. He looked at the front of the card, which read in small neat letters “To: Troye”. He smiled hugely as he saw he had received a valentine. Troye eagerly yet delicately opened the envelope, taking care not to rip the wrapping. He unfolded the paper, decorated with subtle blue and purple hearts (red and pink were way too traditional) and different colors for each word. He smiled grandly and nodded, answering the written question on the paper: will you be my valentine?

I was ecstatic. I jumped up from my seat and sat down in the desk right next to him. I hesitantly reached towards him and grabbed his hand in mine. Troye looked surprised and nervous, but he was smiling. His hand was sweaty from being clenched in a fist, which was kind of gross to be honest, but it was also a little teeny weeny bit cute.

I had a valentine! Me, Tyler Oakley, had a valentine! Little did I know that the other kids were whispering and glancing at us. I mean, why were two boys holding hands? Isn’t that only for a girl and a boy? But I didn’t notice, and neither did Troye, we were too busy grinning at each other.