Red Heart: Ron Weasley

Harry took hold of your hand.

You were uncomfortable, but didn't say anything. Ever since Harry had given you that love letter last week, he'd been all over you since. Since you didn't tell him that you didn't actually like him, he took this as you accepting his love and had made it his duty to make the whole world know. He wasn't a bad person, of course — he was great, matter of fact, and heavily desirable amongst the other girls — however he just wasn't your type. Either way, though, he was sure you were his, and made sure to take advantage of it.

"Hey, Ron," Harry greeted, taking you along with him, "you know Y/N, don't you?"

Ever since that stupid love letter, Ron had been avoiding the two of you — especially you — with all that was within his power. His usual happy and albeit dazed expression had been replaced with a less dopey, extra angry one and you were starting to miss the other. Now he scowled whenever the two of you were together, and murmured (and sometimes didn't even bother to do that) rude things about the two of you. Hermione was usually there to stop him from taking it too far however the message still came across: he had a serious problem about the two of you dating.

For the sake of Valentine's Day, you gave Ron a smile, happy and cheerful and hopeful to ward away any upcoming conflict. Ron's cheeks turned a faint pink at this, and his expression went from annoyed to angry real quick.

"We've met." He said simply.

That was a lie. The two of you had been about to meet, as in Ron was making his way across the courtyard towards you to tell you who knows what, when Harry cut him off and reached you first, handing you the wretched love letter that had began this entire fiasco.

Harry checked the time and gasped. "Shit, I've got to go, but I'll see you all later."

You were about to wave goodbye and wriggle your hand nonchalantly out of his grip, when he gave you an unexpected kiss on the cheek and a little hand squeeze before he ran off, leaving you and Ron alone. Hermione was a little ways away, however seemed to have no intent to come up and relive the two of their awkward silence.

"You are so annoying," Ron murmured under his breath, and you just managed to hear.

"What did I even do? Honestly, Ron, what's your problem? I've never done anything to you."

Suddenly, Ron dug in his pocket and pulled out a small pink bag, and he shoved it into your hands, his expression hardening. You expected to find perhaps a hate letter or pieces of something of his you broke by accident, but instead found small little candy hearts.

"Oh, er, thank you." You said, trying to keep the surprise out of your voice.

You took out a candy heart, choosing the red one as it was your favorite. You read the inscription quickly before eating it — "crushing" — and placed it into your mouth, humming at the delicious taste.

Ron stood there with his hands in his pockets, his eyes focused on the floor however looking up to glance at you every once in a while. His gangly figure was slightly hunched over, as if standing up straight was much too much work. As you dug around in the bag for another one, Hermione took the chance to march up to Ron and heatedly whisper some intense instructions and lecturing into his ear, Ron flinching away as if she was shouting every few seconds. It was a little cute, if you were being totally honest.

When she was done, she made her way back to the couch, resuming her very important task of reading while simultaneously managing to watch your every move. It was a little bit scary.

"Um, would you like to, uh," Ron was desperately searching for the right words, however they seemed just out of his reach.

"Would I like to...?" You prompted, your interest piqued.

"Read the heart." He said a little forcefully, and Hermione cleared her throat and mouthed something at him. Ron cleared his throat and tried again, softer this time. "Read the heart."

You read the inscription of the next heart in your hand. "Crushing," you read allowed, and he burned crimson. "I don't get it... do they all say the same thing?"

He nodded ferociously, Hermione whisper-ordering him not to be so intimidating. You blinked, processing it all, before it all made sense.

"Oh." You said plainly, before repeating it with a knowing tone of voice. "Oh."

You started to search for all the possible exits, for a reason that you honestly didn't want to explain. The common room was too crowded to get away fast enough, but it was too empty for you to get supposedly "lost" in the crowd.

"I have a—" if Ron had given you the chance, you honestly would've had no idea what to say. Harry wasn't your boyfriend, but he most certainly wasn't just a friend, especially based on the way he acted around you. The boy who lived had a major crush on you, but unfortunately for him, you didn't like him back.

Unfortunately for him, Ron's lips crashed onto yours.

It came as such a surprise that you stumbled back, tripping up on the carpet and almost managing to land flat on your butt before Ron caught you, wrapping an arm around your back and holding you steady in his arms. You stood there in the middle of the common room, frozen in Ron's arms, unsure of what to do next. However, before you could think about it, your body reacted first and you ended up kissing him back.

But then you pulled away just as quick.

"No, no, no. I can't do this. I can't do this to Harry."

Ron's face fell. You expected him to get mad, or upset, but instead, he chose to get sad. His solemn face looked down at the floor, avoiding your searching eyes.

"But... I want to." You whispered, shocking Ron, yourself, as well as Hermione who smiled from listening in to you guys without your consent.

You gently placed a hand on his cheek, and placed a soft kiss to his lips.

"But I'm not lying to Harry. I have to tell him."

And so you did. And, it turned out, he was ok with it. Matter of fact, he had actually started hanging around you as part of his and Hermione's master plan to get Ron to work up the courage to ask you to be his Valentine, as Ron worked better under pressure — hence why he thrived when he got jealous.

"I'm glad we're ok."

Ron smiled. "Me too."

And you kissed him again.