Chapter 6: Mew

Why do I even want to substitute a teacher when I have a lot on my plate? Oh yes. I wanted to have a feel before I finally take my place as the head of the school.

I am getting ready in front of an empty classroom with the 5 minutes left before the bell rings having second thoughts.

Can I do this? Am I ready? What do I know about philosophy? Well, I used to be the best in my class. I can do this. I eat philosophy for breakfast. This should be easy. I am a lawyer. Easy peasy.

The bell rang.

Students are swarming in everywhere. So loud. So carefree. They came in groups and they certainly know their places. No one, and I mean no one sat on the first row. I have to take control.

"Students at the last row, please transfer in front."  I hear murmurs, but no one was moving.

"The first 10 who transfers don't need to pass their assignment." Now this is how you do it.

15 chairs in front, 1 chair still empty. I looked at the back and froze seeing another face, a face drained out of color looking back at me.

My day just went to shit.

I turned my back and walked back in front trying to compose myself. Compose yourself Mew!  This is day one. You have a goal. Stick to it. He is just a student. You are the owner of the school. Calm down. Pretend you don't know him.....

Or kick him out of the school. Yes Attorney Mew, start the year with illegally kicking out your student.

I slowly turned back to the class, schooling my features. "I am Attorney Mew Bennett. I will be taking over Mrs Potts. I think you already know she gave birth. I haven't talked to her again so I'm not sure when she'll be back but expect that I will be taking over until the school year ends."

"I'd like to get to know each and everyone of you. Starting in front, please introduce yourself and tell me a bit about yourself." I pointed at the guy closest to me. "Let's start with you young man."

"I am Jessie, taking up Industrial Engineering......."

"I am Beth, I love fashion. I am a Fine Arts student....."

I was in a haze, too many student names and information to remember. Until the last student spoke.

"I am Gulf, ummm, I am excited to graduate and get the hell out of this town."

Did I just hear? Did he just?

The class laughed. This must not be the first time they heard about this.