Chapter 14

Tonight was Iris and Joe's last night in Freeland, since they needed to return to Central City tomorrow, Joe for work and Iris for class and work at Jitters, so they were having a big family dinner so Iris could finally meet her sisters, Anissa and Jennifer and Iris had to admit, she was enjoying it.

"So, you're studying to be a reporter." Anissa asked her as they ate.

"Yeah, since dad won't let me become a cop." Iris said, causing Joe to roll his eyes.

"Smart move." Jefferson said.

"Whole reason she's becoming a reporter is so that way she can put herself in dangerous situations in a different way." Joe said.

"Sounds a lot like Anissa, except Iris knows when it's breaking the law." Jennifer said.

"Shut up Jen." Anissa glared at her.

"She has a point. If I didn't know better Anissa, I'd say that you're the one who's biologically related to Iris." Jefferson said.

"Guess it's just a factor of nature vs. nurture. I want to help people, something I got from having a cop as a dad." Iris said and Joe smiled.

"And you will. I have no doubt that one day, you'll be writing articles exposing criminals, but for now, you focus on finishing school. And moving out of the house." Joe said.

"You know Barry and I are looking for a place together." Iris said and Joe nodded.

"Who's Barry?" Wally asked.

"My boyfriend Barry Allen. We've been together since high school." Iris said.

"Hold up, Allen, any relation to Henry Allen?" Jefferson asked.

"Henry Allen is Barry's father. Why do you ask?" Iris asked.

"I heard that Henry was convicted for murdering his wife." Jefferson said.

"He was framed. Barry has devoted his life to proving it and I know he will." Iris snapped, causing Jefferson to realize that was not a topic to bring up with Iris if he wanted to remain on his good side.

"So anyways, Joe, I was wondering if maybe over Christmas break, I could spend a few days with you in Central City." Wally asked.

"Of course. The door's always open, but you come into my house, you follow my rules." Joe said.

"Yes he does." Francine agreed.

"Okay, now on a different subject, Francine and I have some big news." Jefferson said.

"Is this about the divorce and the whole you two not being legally married thing?" Jen asked.

"Yes Jen it is. Once my divorce from Joe is finalized, Jefferson and I are planning on getting remarried and having a real ceremony." Francine said.

"Wow, that's great." Wally said.

"And we want all of you kids to be a part of it. Wally, you're going to be my best man." Jefferson said.

"Are you sure?" Wally asked.

"Of course I'm sure. You're my son." Jefferson said.

"Anissa, Jen, you two are going to be my bridesmaids." Francine said and Iris couldn't help but feel a little hurt that her mother didn't want her to be a bridesmaid.

"And you Iris, I want you to be my maid of honor." Francine said, shocking her.

"Are you sure mom?" ris asked.

"I'm positive. Iris, I may have missed a lot of your life, but you're still my firstborn child and I want you to have the most sacred role I can give someone in my wedding." Francine said.