10)Enemy

It should be easier than this.
That was Apollo's only thought as he watched Aurora lock lips with a random hooligan. Out of nowhere the boy had gone to her, and now they were engaged in a make out session. Apollo had been about to approach Aurora before the unexpected arrival of the boy.

Apollo was not a simpleton. He had been expecting a battle; he was expecting this quest to be rather difficult while being powerless. But he was expecting the most difficult concept for him was going to be wooing Aurora when not only did he not love her but despised her.
"Well that sucks," said Hermes mildly, standing next to Apollo suddenly. He cocked his head to watch Aurora and the boy, a frown on his face.
"She has a beau already," said Apollo through clenched teeth. "Of course."
Hermes gave a hearty clap to Apollo's back, one that caused him great pain. It felt as if someone had taken a bag of rocks and slammed it against him. Hermes noted Apollo's heavy wince.
"Sorry. I keep forgetting you're mortal now."
"You think," said Apollo through gritted teeth.
"Yeah, that's why I said it," replied Hermes before frowning at the sight of Aurora and her beau. "I can't quite put my finger on why, but he looks very familiar...
"Will you shut up," chastised Apollo quietly.
Hermes was unoffended. "And don't call him a beau. It's a boyfriend."
"Well doesn't that make the situation better," snapped Apollo.
"It could be worse. She didn't seem to recognize you in the two classes you share. That makes it a clean slate for you."
"I wouldn't call it not recognizing me as much as it was not paying attention," replied Apollo. "The irony is I have the attention of practically every female in this school minus Aurora." It was true. After having to sign papers to go along with the ridiculous farce that he was a new student, Apollo found he was the center of attention for nearly all of the females that attended Crestview Prep. Including female members of the faculty.
"Makes me wonder who she is from a past life," mused Hermes. He spun a Calculus book on the tip of his pointer finger. He continued to do so until he started to gain the attention of a rat-faced boy a couple feet away. An elbow to the ribs by Apollo stopped his motions and made him hold the book casually with one hand. Although, Apollo was regretting the move. Hermes was unphased by the elbow. Apollo felt as if he had roughly slammed in against a concrete wall due to the pain.
"I don't follow."
Hermes snorted. "Whoever she is must have really hated you to hold this much dislike for you in the present."
Apollo contemplated this. But he decided to ignore his half-brother; half the time the fool had no idea what he was talking about. He rambled whimsical nonsense often enough. It was once Aurora's beau left did Apollo make his move. He moved past a small herd of students who were deeply engaged in a discussion regarding Japanese anime. Apollo next sidestepped another herd of students who seemed content with blocking the entire hallway. Most were talking to one another; the majority were on their way to their individual lockers to prepare to leave for the day. Apollo had to give Aurora credit; the small sprite-like girl was fast when she wished to be. In a matter of seconds, she had managed a very fast walk almost to the end of the hallway. Apollo moved to follow her, only to have an arm roughly thrown out to halt his movements. The hit knocked the wind right out of him. Worse, the action made him flip right onto his back due to the aggressive force. There was no doubt in Apollo's mind he now held very bruised ribs.
Looking to the person who provided the rough arm barge, Apollo found it was the boy who had been locking lips with Aurora.
Ever since he had lost his immortality, Apollo could feel how horribly, terribly human he was. His body was now weak and frail; his skin was paper thin. He was no longer immune to pain; previously while immortal hits could feel as soft as a pinch or a paper cut. Not any longer.
Apollo started up at this new arrival, feeling as though he knew the young man without really knowing him. Hermes was right; there was something very familiar about him. Apollo's weak human memory did not permit him from being able to recall who this was. Then again, if even Hermes could not tell, this meant the person was hiding who they are.
"Oh Apollon," said the young man thoughtfully. A few passing teenagers murmured about the sight but continued walking. In this prep school no one seemed to want to be caught up in a confrontation. The name proved that this was no ordinary human boy. Whoever this arrival was, he was not human.
"I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage," said Apollo curtly, soon pulling himself off from the floor. "I don't know your name."
"No?" Challenged the dark-haired boy, slowly circling around him. He looked young; trapped between man and boyhood. The epitome of a teenager; doe eyes and a face not yet marred by adulthood and a loss of looks. Although, looks are known to be deceiving. Apollo had a sudden feeling of dread fill him. This was clearly no friend of his; any one of those would not have roughly hit him to the ground. "Oh, come now, we've been dancing as enemies for many millennia," said the young man with a toothy smile. Apollo could not recognize the boy's tousled dark hair and large brown doe eyes. "Is it your weak mortal eyes that make it so you cannot see who I am?"
That was possibly the reason. Another possibility was this individual was hiding their true form and simply mocking him.
Apollo had many immortals who disliked him; there was no telling who this new arrival was. It could be any number of enemies.

The young man put his handon Apollo's shoulder and gave a squeeze. To any teenage passerby's, this was anonchalant move. To Apollo, it felt as though this boy was trying to break hisshoulder blade. The squeezing was growing intense, horrible enough that Apollowanted to give a grunt due to the tremendous pain. The pain subsided quickly. Hermeswas suddenly beside Apollo, taking the boy's hand off his shoulder. A roughCRUNCH sounded, showing Hermes broke the boy's fingers in the movement. Toanyone passing by, it looked like an innocent handshake transpiring. "Helios,"said Hermes politely, not batting an eyelash. He had a calm demeanor to him.But Apollo knew his brother well enough to know that Hermes was suddenly readyto attack. It was years of watching his brother fight. Hermes was a levelheadedfighter. That was why he was able to gain the upper hand by breaking hisfingers before Helios was aware that he was near.
That name struck immediate recognition in Apollo. This was someone very bad. Helioswasn't wrong; he and Apollo have danced as enemies since the very beginning, backwhen it was undecided as to who the god of light would be. Since then, a ratherfierce rivalry had escalated over the many years. Both immortals vied for therole as God of light. It would mean who would control sun rising and settingevery day and night. Given Helios had lost his position as god of sun to Apolloafter a harsh scandal during the AD period, Helios has vowed revenge eversince. But the god has been silent in the last thousand years. He has not triedanything, making Apollo feel Helios had perhaps finally moved on.
"Hermes," said Helios, equally polite. He flexed his broken hand upon Hermesreleasing it. No teenager paid their trio attention as they made their way outof the school or to after school activities. "I should have figured you wouldbe here to protect big brother."
"Of course," replied Hermes, his response pleasant. He looked almost cheery."You know, just in case a weasel were to try attacking him during thisdifficult time."
"Difficult time," echoed Helios. "You mean how he's been transformed to auseless human? I pray to Gaia no one would take advantage of dear Apolloin this terrible state."
Helios and Hermes smiled at one another. While Helios had a glittering smileshowcasing his pearly white teeth, Hermes was a closed lipped smile. It wasplenty obvious to both brothers as to whom wished to take advantage of Apollo duringthis dire time.
"Why are you fraternizing with the girl?" said Hermes at once. Apollo nearlygrinned. Hermes was a moron most of the time; but he had his moments of tactfulintelligence. Clearly there was something treacherous afoot, hence Heliosfraternizing with the girl.
"Oh, Rory?" grinned Helios mischievously. "I've become quite fond of the littledevil. I'm thinking I just might make her my next bride..."
Helios was not anticipating Apollo would suddenly launch himself towards him.Apollo was about to shove him roughly before realizing the move was closeshoving a brick wall. Useless and it only harmed himself. Apollo jammed afinger instantly. He didn't show how much the move pained him; he was tooangry. Too easily Hermes made sure he could not advance further by putting anarm on him. "You know she is to be mine!" snarled Apollo.
Somehow, someway, Helios had discovered that Aurora was betrothed to him. Thatwas the only explanation was even here of all places attempting to woo her.
"Did I?" Helios feigned innocence. "How outrageous for you to think so- "
"Let's cut the act," intervened Hermes in a bored voice. "Neither of us aredumb enough to believe this is merely a coincidence. You would have had abetter time convincing Hephaestus otherwise."
Helios sighed, which was a useless action given he was immortal and didn't needto breathe. It was all part of the act, part of his game.
"For too long has Apollon reigned supreme above me," said Helios. His eyesnarrowed into slits. "For too long has he owned what should be rightfully mine-"
"More jealousy," spat Apollo. "Do you not have anything better to occupy yourfree time? This is but a temporary setback, nothing more. I shall once again bethe god of all things light, and you shall remain cast in my glorious shadow,"he said, feeling no fear for Helios even with their current vast difference inpower. "I pity you for when I get my powers back. I shall make you pay,"said Apollo through gritted teeth.
"That's good, antagonize the guy out to get you," muttered Hermes while Helioslaughed.
"You are hilarious, Apollon. You are no match for me in your current state.Face the harsh reality, you quest is futile. You shall not return to yourOlympic status. Then I shall return to be the god of sun." Helios allowed hiseyes to glow to a burnt orange to showcase his seriousness.
"Your quarrel is with Apollo," said Hermes through clenched teeth. Apollofigured he most likely cast a spell around their trio to avoid nosyeavesdropping teenagers. No one paid them any attention. "Leave the girl be."
"'Fraid not," said Helios with a grin. "Word of Apollo's predicament hasspread. In order to regain his immortality, he must marry the girl. Ifsomeone else happens to wed and bed her before that time, I'm afraid poor Apollonwill remain...human. That is unless something horrid happens to him in themeantime."
Before Apollo was able to release his own growl of threats at his nemesis,Helios vanished.
***