5)Shock Value

"Going To Hell" by The Pretty Reckless

***

"Where the Styx are we?"

"I can feel the girls' presence around these parts," Hermes exclaimed. He had transformed his caduceus into a necklace. It was easier to hold. Also, it helped to blend in when among the humans. Wielding his mighty staff would draw far too much attention than what the gods needed at this moment. However, Apollo was finding he should have chosen a disguise of sorts. Showing his natural godly appearance of looks was causing far too many women -and a few men - to glance his direction. As Aphrodite would jest, he was too good looking for his own good.

Hermes vision of finding the girl brought he and Apollo to what appeared to be a dark and dreary building. It was in some part of upper California. Even with the shining sun upon the building, it still appeared dark and unappealing. The insides were dilapidated and painted black. It smelled of wet wood and moldy plaster. The building was an abandoned mental hospital on the outskirts of a barely populated city. Although, even being an abandoned hospital for the insane, the building was buzzing with life. The large parking lot was holding many vehicles. Over a hundred -if not, more- individuals were here. If Aurora was truly around these parts, Apollo realized the girl was a very long way from her homes she shared with her parents. She was a six-hour drive away, in fact. Why would a human girl wish to be around such an odd place?

"Why would she be here?" said Apollo to himself, frowning at the number of Gothic individuals he witnessed. Many adults and teenagers of different races and genders were among the groups coming into the building. Quite a few needed tickets to enter. The immortal Apollo looked quite out of place for the strange group who all seemed to hold a strong love for punk-rock or simply the color black in general.

Even though Apollo felt his own human appearance seemed to stick out like a sore thumb, Hermes seemed to blend in naturally. The shaggy haired god wore a jet-black Skillet t-shirt that was ripped on one shoulder. Worn out saggy black jeans covered his lower half while ripped black combat boots covered his feet. Hermes seemed to blend in with these young adults beautifully, looking quite like a boy who had not yet reached manhood. His dirty-blonde hair hung limp in his eyes, causing him to have to constantly brush it back. His face was pale, his eyes held an everlasting blue and purplish circle beneath them. It wasn't just the gods' looks that made him appear boyish; it was his clothing. It did not matter what generation Hermes was in; Apollo knew the immortal always dressed to what he exclusively thought was the best style of a generation. During the sixteen hundred's, Hermes wore powdered wigs and tailcoats. During the roaring twenties, he often dressed identical to icons such as Earnest Hemingway and Charlie Chaplin. When the thirties and forties were occurring, Hermes even dressed ridiculously similar to the likes of the famous mobster -and demigod son of Ares - Al Capone. The seventies consisted of ridiculous bell-bottom pants and even an outrageous afro. But it was the eighties that were Apollo's personal favorite era regarding Hermes' odd outfit assembles. At that time, he wore outfits that were too ridiculous for words. They consisted of leather jackets that were far too tight, popped collar shirts, and baja hoodies. He even wore a glove that was an exact replica of what the king of pop would wear...

Once the millennium of the year 2000 hit, Apollo suspected Hermes would tone down his outlandish outfit assembles. He did not. Since then, the immortal had made it his prime mission to wear jeans and rock and roll band t-shirts and flannels everywhere he went.

This was including royal committees and balls consisting of the Olympians and other realms royalty! Hermes would pair his ridiculous shirts with blazers and even suits to appear what the god deemed 'fancy'. Apollo felt strongly the immortal was trying too hard to be liked by mortals throughout their many years of living. That was the only real way to explain the outfit changes and how he adopted the lazy way of speech that humans held regarding contractions and slang the last forty years. Apollo really did not know who Hermes felt he was fooling; the god did not simply fit in with the humans like he believed he did.