don't trust me (10)

you begrudgingly walk into school monday morning, eyes downcast as you head toward your locker.

it's been maybe three weeks now since your best friend red managed to get ricky to fess up to why he'd asked you out. and it's been kind of hard on you; you missed having him around and how he always made you smile.

it also didn't help that your best friend, red, was part of the reason you were feeling so melancholy. sure you had missy, but red and you had a different sort of banter that you frankly missed.

you spin in your combo and open your locker, jumping back in surprise when a pile of y/f/s and y/f/c spill out onto the floor.

furrowing your brows, you lean down to pick up the bags. you hold them in your arms as you look around your locker for a note, but fail to find any.

sighing, you shove the snacks and candies into your locker, careful to place them in a way that they won't spill out again next time you open your locker.

you pull out a finished essay, not due until wednesday, and place it in between your algebra and literature textbooks, then close your locker. you spin the lock a few times out of habit before turning around to head to your first period.

when you enter mrs. garnier's world history class, you find missy sitting near the back and go to sit by her.

"hey," she greets with a small smile as you slip into the desk. "how was your weekend?"

"it was alright," you answer honestly. "yours?"

"grandpa frederick fell down the stairs and broke his hip. that was interesting."

"yikes."

the both of you let out small chuckles. you turn your attention to the front of the classroom as you hear the door close.

a look of confusion adorns your face as you catch your teacher walking in with a bouquet of y/f/f.

"y/f/n? uh, these are for you." she says, walking toward you and confusingly placing the bouquet in the corner of your desk.

you purse your lips.

ricky.

"ooh!" missy teases, nudging your side as mrs. garnier starts the lesson. "who are they from?"

"doesn't say." you mutter, shrugging. "but i think it's ricky."

missy scowls but nonetheless—"hmm, well that's nice of him."

♫♪♬

gift deliveries have been happening to you all day. you got a stuffed y/f/a in third period accompanied by one of those mini balloons with a plastic holder; in fifth, a box of chocolates with a letter attached to it. you'd recognized the handwriting on the envelope as ricky's and immediately ripped it up.

finally, it was lunch time. you were starving, in all honesty. plus the main course for today was the best dish east high cafeteria staff had to offer—y/f/d.

you and missy go to sit down at your usual table, but you stop when you notice ricky sitting there.

you turn on your heel, going to find another table far from him when you're stopped in your tracks by red, who has suddenly appeared behind you.