five years later (ii)

language; secrets; (teen) pregnancy mention

keywords
y/f/n: your full name
y/b/s: your birthstone 

"y/n?" that familiar voice stops you in your tracks. you tighten your hold on finn, squeezing your eyes shut, shaking your head and hoping you're just imagining it.

"ow!" finn cries, causing your eyes to snap open.

"shit!" you losen your grip, apologizing to your son.

his eyes widen and a smile graces his features. "you owe me a quarter!"

you hear footsteps come up behind you and reluctantly, you turn around.

ricky bowen is there. he's wearing jeans and a purple shirt underneath the jean jacket you recognize from high school. he'd always loved that jacket, only a small part of you is suprised he still has it. you bite your lip as you realize he's only gotten more beautiful since the last time you saw him.

"y/n, hey!" he smiles at you like he didn't break your heart into a billion pieces nearly five years ago.

then again, you did worse. not that he knew.

"hey!" you greet, plastering on a smile. "how are you, ricky?"

"i'm good!" he answers. "yeah, i'm doing good. i'm playing my music now, for everyone."

"that's great!" you say. "what, like do you have a cd out? doing concerts?"

"not that far yet. hopefully soon, though. right now i'm just playing in bars and stuff but it's still good. i love it. when did you move back to salt lake?"

"i didn't," you say. "just visiting mom and marta for the holidays."

"and babysitting?" he questions. you quirk your brow, and he points to finn in your arms.

"oh!" you chuckle, feeling ridiculous. of course he was inquiring about finn. you place a hand on the back of finn's head, threading your fingers through his soft curls.

finn sighs, resting his head on your chest. his brown eyes, identical to ricky's, examine said man.

"no," you smile down at your son. "he's mine."

"you- you have a kid?"

"yep. this is finn."

ricky lifts his hand to wave at finn, but your son just clutches his fawn to his chest and sighs again.

you can tell he doesn't want to be here right now.

"since when?" ricky asks you. "i mean- yeah. where's his dad?"

"since august twenty-twenty," you answer. "four years old. and uhm, his dad uh, just wasn't around."

"oh," ricky frowns. "i'm sorry to hear that."

you shrug, but finn pipes up at this.

he flashes ricky a condescending smile, lifting his head and saying, "my mom says i'm the only guy she needs in her life."

ricky laughs at that.

"but what about you? you and nini?"

"uh, no." ricky answers. "we broke up for good, freshman year of college."

"sorry to hear that," you repeat back to him.

"mom, i'm hungry. can we go get pretzels, please?" finn asks, resting his chin on your chest and looking up at you with his infamous puppy dog eyes.