don't trust me (9)

"are you sure you're okay?" missy asks softly as she places a bowl of popcorn next to you.

she pulls back your comforter and climbs into your bed. it's saturday, which usually meant movie nights. usually, red would be here but after he'd brought you home after the whole truth-or-dare bs, you hadn't talked to him.

you nod as you reach to grab the remote from your nightstand.

"what do you want to watch?" you ask.

missy gives you a sympathetic look; she really doesn't believe you. you'd been so happy with ricky (truly, she'd never seen you happier), and red had been your best friend before she'd even come along. to lose them both on the same day . . .

not to mention the fact you'd lost your virginity to ricky.

"'spy who dumped me' it is." you sigh, clicking on the movie.

"y/n, i'm serious." missy says, placing a comforting hand on your arm. "you can tell me anything."

you smile up at her, nod once.

"i know," you say. "just- i'm not ready to talk yet."

            ♫♪♬

red nearly punches ricky in the nose when said teenager approaches him at his locker after their shared world history class.

"i need your help," ricky holds up his hands in surrender. "please?"

"and why should i help you?" red sneers, glaring at ricky.

"because y/n is mad at you too," ricky says. "isn't she?"

he only assumes because he hasn't seen y/n and red together since the night of the party.

red sighs.

yeah, y/n is mad at him—mad at him for being so stubborn, so sure ricky an ulterior motive (and though he did, why did red have to be so adamant about it?).

red hasn't talked to y/n in two weeks, not since he dropped her off at home after the party. missy keeps telling him y/n will come around eventually, but when that will be? he doesn't know. he just hopes it's soon. he misses his best friend.

"i know you don't like me," ricky continues. "and you don't like the idea of me and y/n being together, but here's the truth, red. when i said i loved her, i meant it."

red rolls his eyes.

"come on, red." ricky sighs. "you were there when nini broke heart and when i gave up on love. but y/n, she took me completely by surprise. i- i thought i could go on in life, not loving anybody, but i was wrong. yes, i asked her out on a bet but ej only made that bet with me because he knew i would never ask her out on my own."

red leans against his locker, jaw clenched and arms crossed.

"do you even know anything about her?"

"yes! she still sleeps with a nightlight because she never quite got over her fear of the dark. she likes heading her notes all fancy because it's her only artistic talent. she color-coordinates her hair ties with her shoes because it makes her feel more organized. and y/n's real mom ran off with someone else when she was still a baby. she's afraid to ask me to hold my hand so she always—"

"wait, go back." red says. "what did you say? about her mom?"

"uhm," ricky swallows. "she told me that her birth mom ran off with her boss. y/n was only six months old when it happened. y/m/n came into the picture then and has been her mom ever since."

"she's only ever told me and missy that," red breathes. he pinches the bridge of his nose. "she must have really saw something in you; she hates talking about her other mother."

"i love her," ricky says again. "i really do. i never wanted her to find out about the bet, i don't even know why i gave in to you at the party. but red, she is the best thing in my life and i never wanted to hurt her. please help me make things right."

"i still don't like you," red snips. "but y/n really did. does, even after finding out about the stupid bet. i'm only doing this so y/n talks to me again. that's all."

"yeah? yeah, that's fine!" ricky nods thankfully. "thanks, red. uhm, i'll call you later?"

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

other notes: unedited