five years later (vi)

language

keywords: –

you and ricky walk hand-in-hand into the bayou, the restaurant slash bar you'd agreed to meet red and ashlyn at.

red and ashlyn are already there, sitting in the waiting area, laughing at something they're watching on ashlyn's phone.

ricky walks up to red and nudges his foot with his. red looks up, standing to greet ricky with a hug.

"y/n!" ashlyn squeaks, standing up as well. she opens her arms for a hug, and you gladly embrace her.

"hey!" you smile brightly.

"how are you?" ashlyn asks as red and ricky walk up to the host to ask for a table.

you tell her about your day as the four of you walk back with the host to your table. he hands you some menus and returns to his station to greet more customers.

"so i hear you have a son?" ashlyn says, quirking a brow.

"yes," you smile. "his name is finn, he is four and a half."

you pull out your phone to show ashlyn your lockscreen which you'd since changed to a picture of ricky and finn snuggling together.

"awe!" ashlyn coos, placing her hands over her heart. "he's so precious!"

suddenly, ashlyn frowns.

"ugh, i'm so upset you left! i bet he was the cutest baby."

you and ashlyn didn't talk much in high school but you'd always thought you two could be good friends if you ever mustered up the courage to talk to her.

now it seems as if you've been friends forever.

"he was." you unlock your phone to access your album of his baby pictures, then hand your device to ashlyn, watching with pride as she coos over your baby.

"hi, i'm isaac, i'll be your waiter this afternoon. can i start you off with some drinks?"

"i'd like some coke, please?" ricky says.

"i'll take a tea, light ice."

"just water."

"lemonade," you smile at isaac.

"great! i'll be right back with those drinks."

red leans in to whisper something to ashlyn. taking advantage of your friends busied with something else, ricky places a kiss behind your ear.

you giggle, leaning away from him. he pouts at you, and you lean forward to give him a quick kiss.

"here you are!" isaac says as he approaches with your drinks. he sets them each down one-by-one, then claps his hands together once. "ready to order?"

"no, we'll definitely need a few minutes here." ricky says, giving isaac an apologetic smile.

"of course! take your time." with that, he walks away.

"so why'd you name him finn?" red pipes up.

"yeah, why did you?" ricky says, curious.

"maybe i just liked the name," you shrug. "it's of irish origin, meaning fair. also," you take a sip of your lemonade. "finn hudson from glee was my favorite character."

ricky playfully scoffs, rolling his eyes.

"still?"

"always!" you fake cry. then you sniffle and sit straight, looking ashlyn dead in the eye. "tell me about the wedding!"